What does "Money doesn't grow on trees." mean in this scenario?

Once, a few years I was asking my dad about vacation in the summer, and told him that there are some places that I really want to go to. He told me that we will look at the prices for each of the places, and that we will go to one that we could afford. I asked my dad why we are doing that, and he said that "Money doesn't grow on trees."

I get what he means now. He means that although he too wishes we could travel somewhere far and expensive, he still wants to keep mindful of his financial sense while doing so, and that we could get the same/similar experience elsewhere. E.G.: Pensacola instead of Miami and San Diego instead of Hawaii.

Those are two examples of similar experiences for less money.

• Carson
    1 year ago

It means he has to work for the money he does get. He is trying to live within his means and do what is best for your family.

You have a smart dad. He knows the diffetence between a want and a need. Pay attention to him. One day you'll thank him.

• Carson
      1 year agoReport

You're welcome. You have a head start on many. You're being raised right. I'm happy for you.

• 1 year ago

It means that if you want money, you have to work hard for it.

1 year ago

It means that he's broke and he knows what he can and can't afford.

• ML
    1 year ago

Your Dad meant that money doesn't grow on trees.Getting money is the result of hard work. So, you should think of it and spend money wisely if you respect your Dad. Enjoy the most affortable place for your vacation.

• 1 year ago

That's a phrase going back many years. My folks used to use it too.

Meaning: This expression means that money is not a resource that is not easily acquired and should not be spent in a careless manner.

Example: A child walks into a store with her mother and an expensive toy catches her eye. So she asks: “Mom, can we get this?” Sadly, the mother is low on cash and cannot afford to spend what little she has on something as unnecessary as a toy. Thus, she tells her child: “I’m sorry, but money doesn’t grow on trees, we can’t afford that right now.”

• 1 year ago

He's saying that he needs to watch his budget and not go over what he can afford. This old saying is sarcastic, because if money grew on trees, obviously we could pick all we wanted, for free. We wouldn't have to earn it.