What does "Money doesn't grow on trees." mean in this scenario?

Once, a few years I was asking my dad about vacation in the summer, and told him that there are some places that I really want to go to. He told me that we will look at the prices for each of the places, and that we will go to one that we could afford. I asked my dad why we are doing that, and he said that... show more Once, a few years I was asking my dad about vacation in the summer, and told him that there are some places that I really want to go to. He told me that we will look at the prices for each of the places, and that we will go to one that we could afford. I asked my dad why we are doing that, and he said that "Money doesn't grow on trees."
Update: I get what he means now. He means that although he too wishes we could travel somewhere far and expensive, he still wants to keep mindful of his financial sense while doing so, and that we could get the same/similar experience elsewhere. E.G.: Pensacola instead of Miami and San Diego instead of Hawaii.
Update 2: Those are two examples of similar experiences for less money.