Do my views make me a bigot?

So, my views are almost mostly unpopular opinions that only people up in age would agree with me. If I am honest, I feel ashamed for the things I think, but I honestly can't help it. It's just so wrong to me.

My story goes something like this: I was 15 when I decided to become a christian after a near-death experience that has left me with many years of pain. I gave my life to God and I can't say that I've been disappointed. I've dedicated myself to studying the Bible and because I've been doing that, I've learned that many people take the book out of context. After I found this out, I decided I would follow everything in the Bible and live my life as a good christian girl.

With that being said, I do not support LGBT people. Even before I was Christian, I did not favor it. I still believe that everyone should have the right to be protected and non-discriminated no matter their sexual identity. However, I don't believe they should have the right to be married. I think their relationships are wrong and that kills me because my own sister is a lesbian. In fact, about half of people in my family are LGBT. Even the boy I fell in love with is bisexual. I often pretend to say that I support it and pretend like I'm in favor of it, but deep down I don't agree at all. I'm just afraid to say anything because I don't want to sound like a bigot.

In addition to this I don't support marijuana use unless it's for medical use. Am I a bigot for thinking the way I do?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Best answer

A bigot is a person whose sense-of-self has become tied to their views or opinions regarding a group of other people. In other words, if someone were to say something that challenged those views or opinions, the bigot would feel as if they were being personally threatened or insulted.

What that means in your particular case is that your views do not make you a bigot by themselves. They are simply intolerant or negative views, which don't say anything about YOU as a person beyond the fact that you are negative or intolerant where non-heterosexual sexualities and marijuana are concerned. Certainly, holding negative opinions of things or persons does NOT make any of us into bigots. Everybody doesn't like SOMEthing (but nobody doesn't like Sara-Lee).

What would make you a bigot would be if you could not tolerate anyone expressing disagreement with your views regarding those things, or if you became disturbed anytime you saw evidence that anyone in the world disagreed with those views. If you felt compelled to argue or act - as if by doing so you could FORCE everyone to accept your views - THEN you would quite possibly be a bigot.

• Daniel8 months agoReport

I would argue that the fact that I don't like peanut butter, does not make me intolerant of people who do. And I feel like the same holds true even when the issue is something larger

• 7 months ago

Do you care? You think what you think, that's that.

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Do you see what religion does to your thinking.? It poisons everything. The fact that you can't even support your sister is BAD.

• 8 months ago

No.

Source(s): Bi dude
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

just let other people be who they wanna be, or do what they wanna do as long as it isn't hurting anybody. That's my motto.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

It's not a right or wrong issue for you when it comes to someone else's life. If you love someone you would want for them to be happy because it's not you that is going to have to live their lives for you to decide what you think is right or wrong for them.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I find it a bit odd that you think good Christian values are something that only "older people" can have.

Your views are based on the Bible. They are correct.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.