What does the speed of an object have to do with the distance traveled?

• 1 year ago

D = VT. If velocity is constant.

• goring
    1 year ago

The faster the motion of a massive object the shorter the time to travel that distance. If it was possible for that object to travel faster than the speed of light it would get there even quicker. One does not have to be an Einstein to figure that out.

• 1 year ago

The fast the speed in agiven time the more is the distance covered so speed affects the distance covered by causing an increase or decrease depending on how fast or slow the object is moving in aparticular time, ie (distance - speed *time)

• Vaman
    1 year ago

You must add in a given time. Time is important. It will clear all your doubts.

• 1 year ago

It has to do with the escape velocity of the solar system, i.e. how fast you would have to be going to completely overcome the Sun's gravity and escape. There isn't anything in orbit that would stay in orbit if it was going that fast, so they had another look at the object, a smallish meteor that struck Earth in 2014, and traced its path backwards to where it seems to have come from.

(Then again, everything goes out the window if the speed estimate based on its fireball through the atmosphere turns out to be wrong.)

Source(s): "First Meteor of Interstellar Origin Discovered by Scientists" https://www.newsweek.com/first-interstellar-meteor...
  • Bob L
    1 year ago

Speed is a measurement of distance over time. 55 Miles per hour equalls 88 feet per second.

• 1 year ago

You use the following equation to determine the distance.

Distance = Speed * time

Let’s assume the distance is 50 meters and the time is 5 seconds.

50 = Speed * 5

Speed = 10 m/s

I hope this is helpful for you.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Derp. Can't you figure this out yourself? (This is like asking "why, when I go 80 km/h, do I get to my destination twice as fast than if I went 40 km/h?" or "why do I need to breathe air?") I hope you are aware that you are reinforcing the idea that "girls can't do science".

• Mark
      1 year agoReport

Ah, OK. Yes, thns in our solar system (even US) can travel as fast as that.

• 1 year ago

it determines how fast it travels in a certain time.

• 1 year ago

I just read this: "The Papua New Guinea object travelled towards Earth at around 37 miles per second, a speed so high it suggests it originated outside our solar system." in an article.

Unless the object is accelerating...but how?