I need some legal advice !!!! PLEASE?

Hey guys so I have a family friend that use to repair my car on the side. He is a mechanic, but does not work for a company anymore; he just did work on the side for people. I trusted him a lot, I use to give him money to pick up parts without a problem. Everything we have ever talked about is through text. I have... show more Hey guys so I have a family friend that use to repair my car on the side. He is a mechanic, but does not work for a company anymore; he just did work on the side for people. I trusted him a lot, I use to give him money to pick up parts without a problem. Everything we have ever talked about is through text. I have every single text message since the first day he started working on my car. Recently he told me my Ford Taurus needed a new motor and it would cost about $550. He came and picked up the money and said he would get the motor the next day. However I noticed he came up with little excuses on why he hasn’t gotten the motor. And sooner or later it came to him ignoring me. I called him, texted him , everything and I haven’t heard back from him. I gave him the $550 THREE MONTHS AGO. I have recently messaged his girlfriend and he would change the story to make it look like he was trying to do the right thing. I am completely convinced that he took my money and does not plan on returning it. I don’t know how to go forward with the courts on this problem. $550 may not seem like a lot of money to some people, but it’s a lot to me. I’m currently 8 months pregnant and have a two year old. I soon will be going on maternity leave without pay. And I’m at such a lose on what to do😭. Someone please help.
3 answers 3