Can I go to any med school to be a surgeon?

I’ve been planning to go to med school for about a year now I just need to make a list of schools I want to attend once I obtain my bachelors degree. I’m leaning towards general surgery though that may change. My question is, can I go to any med school or does it need to be specific to surgery? When I research top med schools and top med schools for surgery, a different list of schools come up so I’m just confused and I’m trying to get a clarification. Are all med schools typically the same and it just depends on residency? I obviously want to go to the best schools but I also don’t want to have to move far away as my parents are helping me with costs. Thanks in advance!

• 1 year ago

all doctors have to go school it don't matter what kind they are

• 1 year ago

How this works depends on what country you're from. In America you must first get your MD (or DO) before specializing. To become a surgeon you will have to be accepted into a medical school, graduate from that school, and then be accepted into a surgical residency. Physicians learn the most in residency so med school choice will only help you to get acceptance to more competitive residencies. Getting into the highest ranked med school possible (likely getting you a better shot at more competitive residencies) is therefore what you should focus on, not searching which schools are best for surgery. If you haven't already you will need to study for a few months and take the MCAT. Scoring highly on the MCAT is crucial as this score along with your grades are the biggest factor in whether med schools (which only take the top 10% of applicants) will interview you. After the MCAT is completed you will gather recommendation letters and submit your grades to AAMC (For MD) and / or AACOM (For DO). MD schools will give you more opportunities than DO but both can land you a surgical residency. This application and interview process is done one year before starting med school.

Finally I would advise you to avoid Caribbean med schools. They will give you impressive stats but investigators who have looked deeper at them have found that 50% of their class doesn't graduate and 50% of those that do graduate fail to get a residency (and therefore can't practice medicine.) That gives a 75% chance of NOT being a doctor and having a load of debt if you go to a Caribbean school. They also rarely match to surgery (because it is more competitive) and usually end up in the least competitive specialties such as family medicine.

• 1 year ago

The med schools listed under surgery have higher acceptance rates of their grads for surgical residencies than do other med schools. If you are serious about surgery, aim for a highly rated med school for getting into that specialty.

All universities, all med schools, all law schools, etc, have their strengths & weaknesses. All have different reputations for overall quality and for quality in particular fields, specializations. Lots of similarities, of course - an accredited school is, of course, accredited & degrees are valid. But there are always some differences.

Just because a school is farther away does not necessarily mean it is cheaper or more expensive. Consider school costs AND cost of living. Renting an apartment is cheaper, for example, in the Midwest or a smaller town than, say, NYC or Long Island. Differences in living costs alone can vary by $1000-2000/month.

• 1 year ago

Yes. Med school is med school is med school. Durning med school, each student will have a rotation in surgery. AFTER graduating from medical school, student who want a specialty apply for a residency in that speciality. It could be orthopedics, general surgery, cardiology, etc. IF you get matched and accepted into the residency of your choice, you go through that and take the board certifications for your speciality before being able to practice.

• 1 year ago

Yes. Your medical school does not determine your area of practice; your residency does.

• 1 year ago

I think that you have to go to med school in no matter what field of medicine you are going into and then later on you lean towards the specific thing you want to do during your internship and residency, cause each field has different time periods