Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 10 months ago

What causes thick skin?

My surgeon, while removing a cyst from the back of my neck said I have very thick skin.. is this bad in anyway?

Favorite Answer

Youth and/or obesity. Thick skin is the result of a lot of connective tissue. The skin's connective tissue on your neck is collagen and/or fat. Collagen decreases *** we get older, which is why elderly people's skin often looks paper thing. Fat people often look younger than they are because their fat is replacing collagen and helping support the skin and keep it "thick." Drooping is inevitable, though, because fat is a much weaker connective tissue than collagen.

I wouldn't worry about it

i'm very thick skinned too

He meant you are dense, like not very bright. He used it in a metaphorical sense. He told you something and perhaps you did not understand

if your mom beats you in childhood you develop thick skin