Why are people so afraid to explore different ideas?

It seems that people choose beliefs over ideas. You can hardly discuss an idea without people choosing to see it apart from your beliefs. There doesn't seem to be "free thinking" in the world. You can not discuss ideas without being scrutinized and attacked for it. I would rather have a mind... show more It seems that people choose beliefs over ideas. You can hardly discuss an idea without people choosing to see it apart from your beliefs.

There doesn't seem to be "free thinking" in the world. You can not discuss ideas without being scrutinized and attacked for it.

I would rather have a mind opened by different ideas, wonder and curiosity than one closed by belief. It seems that people can not tell the difference between ideas and beliefs.

We put such ideal limits upon knowledge, the absolute truth. People are often attacked and scrutinized for thinking out loud outside of "the box"...

Intelligence seems to be ideally limited to what we already know, things and facts, rather than intuition, free thinking, imagination...

These ideal limits upon knowledge that we create, as convincing as they are, do not necessarily refer to reality but could be consider their self to be free creations of the human mind and not uniquely determined by the external world as they seem to be...
Update: Mark all I see is ideas in your statement, no argument or clear picture in my mind develops. I was tapping into unconsciousness last night and my mind was racing. I shifted back to an older perspective of thinking... I don't want to lose my faith but right now I'm not sure what I believe. I'm not even... show more Mark all I see is ideas in your statement, no argument or clear picture in my mind develops. I was tapping into unconsciousness last night and my mind was racing. I shifted back to an older perspective of thinking...

I don't want to lose my faith but right now I'm not sure what I believe. I'm not even sure that I believe in anything in this post.