My landlord is responsible for electric and he got way behind wasnt paying it how can i get electric back in my apartment?

I live in a duplex he lives on the bottom floor. He said he was paying electric and never told me he wasnt paying it for months and now its shut off and way behind in payments is there anyway somehow i can get my apartment electric back on?

• 1 year ago

You could pay it yourself. I'm not saying you should.

• 1 year ago

It sounds like the entire building is on 1 meter. If you get the power in your name then you would be getting a bill for both units not just yours. You may not be able to get it put in your name with an outstanding balance. Some utility companies allow that but some do not. You have to call them & see what their policies are.

Deducting the power from the net is illegal in many states without a court order. Those that do allow it still have a process you have to go through. Check your state law before doing that. Doing it wrong can get you evicted.

As far as the landlord illegally getting the power shut off you would have to sue him for the violation.

• 1 year ago

It is plausible that you don't have separate units, so you may not be able to get electric...need more information.

You can file claims against the landlord...I would be looking to move.

• 1 year ago

In SOME states, you are allowed to use rent to pay utilities.

IN SOME STATES YOU MUST CONTINUE TO PAY RENT until you get a court order not to....you could get evicted if with holding rent is illegal.

Most legal duplexes have separate electric accounts, this could be an illegal conversion. ....i assume the whole house lost electric, not just your apartment

• 1 year ago

Ask him if you can pay it yourself and take it out of the rent. Get something in writing if he goes for it.

1 year ago

This is step one- to get power returned: Call the utility company and explain the situation. They probably will not tell you much because you are not the account holder but ask what is the minimum amount you can pay to get the power turned back on.

It is legal to divert rent money to a utility company when you were paying rent with utilities included to a landlord who then did not pay the utility company. Just keep records of the payment.

Step two is to file a case in Small Claims Court against your landlord. The money you diverted towards the utility company will be credited to your rent by the court. You might even be awarded damages.

PS: Follow my instructions or you can take bad advice from others here and live without power; your choice. This action does NOT put your name on the bill, nor it is necessary to. Diverting rent to utility costs is not the same as withholding rent for repairs of habitability issues: legally unrelated. In fact, you are still paying your landlord because you are paying the landlord's utility bill- zero eviction risk.

• Kieth
    1 year ago

Get a tenants rights attorney and sue, you don't have to pay rent if your utilities have been turned off.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

If you have a written tenancy contract which states the landlord takes responsibly for paying the electric bill, then he is in breach of contract and you sue