Lena asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Hi, my dog has separation anxiety. if I leave room he will bark until he’s with me. He follows me every single step I take. What do I do?

1 year ago

Scold and yell at the dog. Or get rid of it.

• jonathon1 year agoReport

You’re a ******* idiot

• 1 year ago

You either grin and bare it or you train it out of the dog ....Look up anti anxiety training online

• Sea
    1 year ago

This shouldn't last long, with diligent training and nothing else stimulating anxiety. Put your dog in a crate or down stay and leave room. Reassure and pet them, repeat "stay" and "quiet' then walk away. They'll cry, let them for brief intervals, then walk up to them, reassure them pet them, let them they are ok in an upbeat tone. While doing this you will need to let them cry for short intervals and repeat process. this has never failed me.

Source(s): I have successfully done this.
  • 1 year ago

You need to do some research on this. There are many reasons for separation anxiety & many ways to go about fixing it.

Google 'separation anxiety' learn what all it is & then google ways to help the dog.

You have not told us how old the dog is, nor the breed, what it's temperament is. My dogs have to be where ever I am when I am home. They don't get upset when I leave but my dogs are 8 & 15. So I have had plenty of time to train them.

Dogs like me & I am like the pied piper when it comes to dogs.

• 1 year ago

How old is the dog and what breed? It matters. If he's only a puppy, why not let him be with you? Once he's older and more confident, this stuck to you behaviour, should lessen. Then you start leaving him for short periods, extending. And try to time your need not to have him around, to when he's sleeping which if he is a puppy, he will do - lots. I'd not force anything with this dog or you will run into problems.

Sometimes I think people hang a term like 'separation anxiety' on a situation, when it's not really that. Dogs are social animals and want/need to be with their owners in case they miss something!! LOL.

ps Has something happened to him in a previous life? Which is why I ask about age and breed!!

• Maxi
    1 year ago

So you have created this by always having your dog with you and never teaching it that is safe on its own, so it is important for the sake of the dog that you correct it.........

Training, such as dog training classes, exercise, play and then once you have got rid of some of it excess energy a raw bone from the butcher, give it to the dog and silently go into another room, it will take time however the bone will keep him busy, the chewing will tire him and relieve anxiety, if he follows you, just silently get up and go to another room ...if however he remains in a different room then you are one step closer to helping to stop this anxious dependance he has, so next time you close the door which might only be for a few seconds/minutes before you go in ( no looking/talking/touching the dog) and you slowly build up your time away, with training classes you are also building up his confidence, the things he learns will stimulate him mentally and with new people/dogs he will become less dependant on you and more confident in himself.

I love being with my dogs and would spend every minute with them if I could, however it is not good for them to build that type of obsessive dependant relationship ... my dogs assist me with my work, so they sleep downstairs when I go to bed and separately from each other and at least twice a day when at home each get on hour or two on their own ( and they just sleep or eat their bone) also they individually or together are left in my car if I am visiting clients so again they have 'time out' away from me.

• 1 year ago

Find something your dog doesn't like and mention it to him. When my dog starts acting up I ask him "Where's your shirt?" He absolutely hates to wear any article of clothing. That will shut him up for a while.

• Fuhr
    1 year ago

Stop calling your girlfriend a dog.

1 year ago

You always can give him a mercy shot

1 year ago

try to ignore him more