Which side was France on in the War?

Update:

Obvs I mean the Second World War. At school I was taught that they were on the side of the British and Allies but then I read about their leader Philippe Petain passing anti-Jewish laws and signing a pact with Hitler. Quite confusing for an ally of Britain to have done that.

65 Answers

Relevance
  • Cousin
    Lv 6
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

France split the difference. They set up a puppet government in Vichy and the other half of France openly surrendered to the Germans. they turned the Jews over for extermination. When the allies looked like they might win, some French would make a show of helping out as a Resistance. Whether sitting their fences or hedging their bets, the French would come out equally well either way. Sort of a little bit on BOTH sides, then.

• Owen1 year agoReport

That's not true, France fought through the whole war under Charles de Gaulle and were in many battles. Just no one ever brings it up.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Kev
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

France was on the side of the Allies (Britain, USA, Soviet Union, etc) because it had to fight against German conquest in France. Eventually, France failed to hold against German invasion and its people evacuated. Later on, French troops, alongside with other troops from France's allies, fought back and defeated Germany.

• 1 year ago

France is actually a highly misunderstood country during WW2. Everyone thinks they just gave up when this isn't true actually, they fought the whole war. France was on the allies side the entire time. In 1940 after France was taken over by Germany and Dunkirk was a fail, the government and military of France went into exile. Only mainland France was taken over, France still had all it's Africa territory which Germany started to invade.

Free France was the real French military and government and they fought in the entire war. Even won a major battle against Germany on their own. Check the Battle of Bir Hakeim. Also look up Charles de Gaulle. He really helped save France.

French Resistance were random citizens of France that created a rebellion against Germany and the German puppet state of France.

Vichi France was basically just a puppet state of Germany, they barely did anything, they really only existed so Germany didn't have to govern all of France themselves. This puppet state fell when the allies invaded France.

Source(s): I study lot's of French history and have been to France and researched it there.
  • 1 year ago

on the allies

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Petain was on the German side, Gabard on the Free French side, and both sides had to sink all French ships because one could never tell.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Which war?

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Monsieur, you gave given the gauntlet!! Now you must die for my honor! En garde!

• bubba
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

They have been and always will be on Frances side in any War that they are involved in

• 1 year ago

The French side, in every war France has fought. If you meant fighting alongside other countries, you didn't say which war.

• 1 year ago

Also a victim.

Peace.

• Chris
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

PISS on your peace.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.