Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

If an animal bites a vet can the vet sue the owner or have the animal destroyed?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Best answer

Sue, not likely unless the animal was instructed to attack. But there are laws regarding animal bites that are enforced and may lead to the animal's destruction.

In most cases, a quarantine period is required along with daily or twice daily exams. It can be expensive, and if the owners or unwilling or unable to pay, the animal may be seized and ultimately disposed of after a period of observation. Dissection of the brain may also be required if rabies is strongly suspected. That requires the animal's death.

• 7 months ago

If your vet EVER suggests to muzzle your dog you should listen to them. They only suggest it because they have to read the dogs body language. They aren't saying to muzzle because they think your dog is aggressive, its because the vet can be a very stressful place especially if you add in the dog is in pain, scared and very nervous. They know it comes with the job, I'm sure they know the dog didn't really mean it. I don't believe they can sue you for it...that is why if you ever notice the assistant in the room holding you dog, usually one arm wrapped around the head neck area and the other around the dogs body, its a safe way to restrain the dog so that neither parties get hurt.

• 7 months ago

You really don't think that all of the dogs who go to the Vet don't try to bite? Some dogs get really nervous and anxious at the Vet and will bite when they are examined, with a thermometer up there butts, looking in the ears, loud noises, other dogs barking, cats meowing, kids crying and such. It's sensory overload to a dog. My dog I have now is a good dog, but not a nice dog when it comes to messing with him and at the Vet they know this and handle him with what they are trained for in a situation like this. I relayed this to them the first time they saw him and they have it in his chart and know just what to do. No they can not sue.

• 7 months ago

No, veterinarians are trained on how to handle an aggressive dog. Also being a vet, you have to expect to come across aggressive dogs from time to time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

No, because its part of his job. If the animal is dangerous, the vet must know the proper methods of treatment, thats why they pay him.

• 7 months ago

Have you ever watched a Vet & his crew work on an aggressive dog. They have been trained how to handle these animals. If you don t bring in a dog with a muzzle the Vet would quickly tie the dogs mouth closed like an alligator. You learn to be quick when working with dogs.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes they can sue the owner, however they wouldn't win unless the pet owner was in some way negligent.

For example, did the pet owner train the dog to attack and then instruct it to attack the vet?

Your question is kind of like asking if a day care provider can sue the parents if their kid bites them or pukes on them. Some things are just known risks that you accept as part of the job. Just because someone gets bit or puked on doesn't mean anyone was negligent.

• 7 months ago

of course

• 7 months ago

They *could* but most vets know this comes with the territory in this profession. They get bit and scratched all the time. This is why a lot have good holding and calming techniques that they use when they see a stressed animal.

I mean, that would be really messed up if a vet sued for every bite and scratch they got. They are in the wrong business if that's the case. They know full-well what they are getting themselves into.

• 7 months ago

No. It's the risk of the job and the vet needs to instruct the owner on how to handle their pet.

• E. H. Amos
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

No; the vet instruct his or her ASSISTANT HOW to hold the pet - if the vet needs help. The vet NEVER relies on the pet owner as a first course of action. If the pet owner got hurt or bitten HE/she could sue to vet!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.