Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 10 months ago

If I eat 10,000 calories in one day will my body absorb all of it and turn it into fat?

I am wondering if there is a limit to how much food the body absorbs? Would you just pee and poo most of it out?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

What we've seen is people rarely venture far from their "set point." I believe there was an experimental documentary on YT that had fat people starve and skinny people gorge, and neither got very far from where they started.

I'm not entirely sure of the mechanism but most likely if you gorge yourself you'll only gain less than 50% your body weight currently. The issue may be hormones for which I think you have to change to grow or shrink massively, which bad and good foods and habits do accomplish. Like they say, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

• 10 months ago

You will only gain weight if it's carbs.

• Julien
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

There are certainly theoretical limits, but it's probably so high that it's not relevant in practice. Let's say if you were eating for 100,000 kcal (without puking!) then yes of course your body would be unable to digest and metabolise all that. But for 10,000 kcal you should not observe a visible drop in efficiency of those biochemical mechanisms.

You don't pee calories, for a healthy individual it never happens. Pooing some can happen, and it usually feeds the flora of your intestines. But it's typically small quantities, most of the nutrients are absorbed in the very first centimetres of intestine.

• 10 months ago

Yes, you would store most of it as fat.

Pee and poop is AFTER the food has been digested, etc.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

You would look like a hippo in no time.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Not many calories are urinated out. But many calories can be undigested and defecated out definately.

It's very hard to judge, depends on the diet (some foods interact with each other in your gut), your digestive effectiveness.

You will certainly deposit more fat than usual, but with thst many calories many will remain undigested as well.

Lv 7
    10 months ago

It would turn to fat, unless you were very active. During Michael Phelps run of 8 gold medals in 8 races he consumed 12,000 calories per day.

• 10 months ago

There's a second part to the equation: how much do you burn? High level athletes like long distance cyclists, swimmers or strongmen can actually burn through that many calories in a day.

If you eat more than you burn your body will indeed turn it into fat (no it doesn't just get excreted - feces is only the undigested food and urine is the by-products of metabolism and anything else that doesn't belong in your system).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.