Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

My dog is too loud at night?

Two weeks ago, we bought a rottweiler dog. He's a bit aggressive at times, but he hasn't attacked anyone. For the past week or so, he's been barking at night as if there was an intruder. It got me and my husband up and we had to look for the intruder the first time. The next night, we found out that he apparently does this whenever he sees a car go down the street. It's been waking our neighbors up, who keep bítching about it. What does it mean that my dog flips out whenever he sees a car at night? He doesn't do this during the day.

1 year ago

Get that dog to therapy.

And then get yourself off drugs.

1 year ago

Duct tape.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Crate him at night when people are sleeping and keep the crate away from windows.

1 year ago

I have no idea - but I don't have the history of the dog, nor can I examine and test him for health issues.

I'd suggest that you get a history and find a Vet - and a trainer.

"Aggressive" but "hasn't bitten anyone" sounds like the dog could be dangerous. I have a very large dog. She is protective, but not aggressive. It has never crossed my mind that I would boast that she "hasn't bitten anyone." I'd rethink the dog.

• Me
      1 year agoReport

I agree. I have two very large, protective dogs. Anyone we let into the house is treated like a new friend to them. But if they feel something is wrong they will stay close to guard me.

• 1 year ago

I would work with a trainer or a behaviorist! If he's an adult dog than something could have traumatized him from a previous event. But until then you could get him a crate big enough for him, get a piece of ply wood that would hang off the sides of the crate and put a big blanket over the crate so he cant see the cars or anything. If he can still hear the cars I would get a radio and play music so he cant hear it.....If a trainer or behaviorist is out of the question for you they make no bark collars that spritz citronella spray whenever the dogs vocal cords start vibrating, the collar mist the spray when the vocal cords start vibrating before they even bark. So that the dog catches on to the mist being associated with the barking and they should stop.

• 1 year ago

Oh geez... "He's a bit aggressive at times, but he hasn't attacked anyone"...

tbh you don't sound as if you have the experience to deal with this dog... and he certainly shouldn't be left out at night and especially if he's barking. He could be reacting to the lights of the car if not barking during the day. But does this mean this dog is out all the time because he will not become a well mannered socialised dog at all.

I'm pretty sure you asked this question a few weeks ago. I don't forget Rottweiler questions.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

So put him in a room where he can't see cars going down the street, close blinds/curtains put the radio on law and give him something to keep him occupied like a raw bone.......then book dog training classes and go and get some basic training, daily lead walks to encourage socialisation, a vet health check to ensure he has no health/pain issues that are "making him aggressive" and if his health check is OK a behaviourist to help you find out what triggers his reactiveness and help you deal with how to resolve it

• Verulam 1
      1 year agoReport

Might work but I'd be concerned about leaving him with a bone overnight!!

• 1 year ago

Why is he outside at night? For protection he could serve you better inside. Bring him in at night & he won't be causing ciaos at night.

My dogs bark & carry on every time someone, something, a new or different vehicle is on the street. Used to get lots of complaints until the head of Animal Control had to come out herself to see why I had never got a citation with so many complaints. They bark when there is a reason to bark & then they don't bark when the reason was gone. That is not excessive barking. All complaints about my dogs were then filed in file 13.

• 1 year ago

It means the dog is not properly trained. Get it some training, and keep it inside at night as well.

• 1 year ago

The dog is trying to protect you (it thinks that that's its job and doesn't know that approaching cars are not a threat). You have to train your dog to do what you want it to do instead of what it does instinctively (you can't train all the instincts out of a dog but you can teach it quite a lot - Rottweilers actually respond well to training, they're quite smart).

What I do is that every time my dog barks, I get up from what I'm doing and investigate (it's annoying but I believe that it's my responsibility not to just let it bark indiscriminately). I'm trying to teach her that I don't want her to bark all the time but not never (sometimes it's appropriate). Maybe for your neighbors' sake let the dog sleep inside until you can train it not to bark so much.

I love dogs, and I have one myself, but I hate it when dogs bark while I'm trying to sleep (in fact I hate it when I'm awake too). However, I don't blame the dogs, I blame their human handlers for not being responsible and controlling the dog's behavior better.

• megalomaniac
      1 year agoReport

Intelligence is relative. I was saying that Rotties are intelligent for dogs (they are often in the top ten smartest dog breeds). And dogs are actually quite intelligent animals. You would know that if you spent more time with them.