Manuel asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

My 10 month old beagle ate part of my double sandwich. It only had ham and bread. I know ham is very dangerous for dogs. Should I be worried?

• 1 year ago

Bread isn't dangerous for dogs - it's more empty calories to a dog than anything else - so that's not a concern.

Ham is only dangerous in excessive amounts due to its salt content. Too much sodium in a dog's diet is just as dangerous as it is to ours, but if it was only part of a sandwich which the puppy ate, then it's unlikely that they have eaten enough to cause problems.

• 1 year ago

● "My 10 month old beagle ate part of my double sandwich. It only had ham and bread. I know ham is very dangerous for dogs. Should I be worried?"

You must have a BIG mouth 🎃, to want a DOUBLE sandwich!

But learn that there is no word "beagle". Breed names require a capital initial for each word, except where a word is an "internal connective" as in Glen of Imaal Terrier, and Dogue de Bordeaux.

🤯Step 1:

Work out whether the ham was salt-cured or sugar-cured.

If the packaging doesn't tell you, licking a bit should help you decide whether it tastes a bit salty or a bit sugary-sweet.

🤯Step 2:

You then need to study the SYMPTOMS of that substance on dogs.

I doubt that the amount in a single sandwich is going to adversely affect your Beagle, but the Boy Scouts creed is to "BE PREPARED!" (Tom Lehrer created an amusing song with that name!) So, unlike the ignorantly-over-confident kids (of all ages) in Y!A, get yourself prepared by STUDYING (1) the early warning symptoms and (2) the RING THE VET AND SCREAM THAT YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY symptoms, so that you are better informed than they can be bothered getting.

🧂 SALTY:

Dogs are much more sensitive to salt than we are. In the wild, their only source of salt was in the blood of the animals they ate.

Study: https://wagwalking.com/condition/salt-poisoning

🍯 SWEET:

Genuine sugar is part of normal biology, and our digestion turns starches into sugars - but excessive amounts are bad. In my case (I'm a diabetic) I have to make sure that the amount of sugar in my bloodstream doesn't drop too low (which gives me hypoglycaemia and unconsciousness) or rise too high (which gives me hyperglycaemia and violent vomiting & dysentery). It can have a similar effect on dogs. But very VERY BAD is if the sweetness is from xylitol.

Study: https://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/chocolate-sugar-dog...

And as this is your first Question in Y!A, keep in mind that you should choose the Best Answer inside a week (a fortnight at the most) to reward whoever tries the hardest to help you - you also then get back 3 of the 5 points it "cost" you to ask the question.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE. Then send an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about that breed. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

1 year ago

It's more likely to get harmed or die from having an incompetent owner, then from the sandwich

• Jojo
    1 year ago

Where have you heard that Ham is dangerous for dogs?

A bit of ham now and then is not going to do a dog any harm.

• 1 year ago

Ham is only potentially dangerous because it's salty and is as bad for us, as for our dogs in that. Your dog should be fine.

• 1 year ago

its not very dangerous, unhealthy in large quantities, but once will not be a problem....just might puke if he ate too much

• 1 year ago

Your dog is fine.

• 1 year ago

it gone die

• Manuel1 year agoReport

not helping, thank you very much'

• 1 year ago

He will live through it.

• Aged Kiwi
      1 year agoReport

Probably - but your "he will" is NOT based on actual knowledge of what was used to produce what he ate, how much he ate, how sensitive HIS system is, etc.

1 year ago

Ham is not dangerous to dogs.Don't know where you got that from.

• Aged Kiwi
      1 year agoReport

And you weren't SENSIBLE enough to RESEARCH for the information before making your God-like proclamation.

You didn't even have the CONFIDENCE in your own prophetic ability to post it with your own username - being an irresponsible coward, you hid behind the bowler-hatted blue-faced [Anonymous]....