Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 6 months ago

Can gaming really be considered a "hobby?"?

I know for some people gaming is just a way to pass the time. Which I get. But how can it be considered a healthy hobby? Yeah, it is good for your hand/eye coordination. You can socialize with people and learn skills. But you're still sitting inside on your butt for hours on end. I know people who will let perfectly beautiful days pass by and not even look outside. How can this be healthy? I can see hobbies like athletic sports, hiking, fine arts, performing arts, etc. being healthy hobbies. But how can sitting inside all day, staring at a tv...ever be considered a real hobby?

Update:

And I want to clarify, this isn't poking fun or attacking. I'm really just curious. Someone I know very well calls his gaming a "serious hobby" and I can't take it seriously. And I am trying. Out of respect for him...but it's so hard...

Update 2:

Good point rmm. I guess I should emphasize, healthy habit. Haha. Technically drinking with your friends every night could also be a "hobby" but not a healthy one.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Hobby and job

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes! very much so! It was mine-still is-and I used to look as pale as a ghost! And I even got addicted to it almost cuz I played too much! Tho the graphics in some games are amazing-i mean besides trolls, hackers, and modders and people like that-it's rlly amazing! whoo!

• 6 months ago

yep, lots of people do it in there spare time and it can even make you money

• 6 months ago

It can be a job and you can win money in competitions playing games.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

YES !!!

• 6 months ago

Yes, more so even.

• 6 months ago

Gaming IS a hobby, and hobby is the point of gaming.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes it can be considered to be a hobby. I do think you are being judgmental because of the "But how can sitting inside all day, staring at a tv...ever be considered a real hobby?” part of your question.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes you are being judgmental

“ But how can sitting inside all day, staring at a tv...ever be considered a real hobby?”

My daughter and her husband game over the internet with two other couples in two different states. It is a great way to be able to do something with them. The two of them also game. It is a relaxing way to spend the evening together. If it is helping them with stress, then it is healthy. If it is keeping you in touch with friends, then it is heathy. Mental health is as important as physical health

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

hobby or obsession ????

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.