Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 7 months ago

Last time CO2 levels were this high the sea was 25 meters higher & globe 2-3 degrees warmer: so why hasn't that happened this time?

'The last time scientists believe it may have been this high was 2.5 to 5 million years ago during the Pliocene epoch, when sea levels were 25 meters higher than today and global temperatures were warmer by 2-3 degrees Celsius.'

22 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

It is working to get to that point, it will take time but it will get there!

• 7 months ago

Even though CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and has been known to be since the 19th century, because that effect is so tiny due other, larger factors, there is absolutely zero correlation betwen CO2 levels and global temperature- that's not in question, it's just one of the many facts withheld from the public- but very easy to check.

The only thing that has a direct and observed correlation with global temperature is solar activity.

But because they can't tax it or blame it on humans to control their activity, it is conveniently ignored.

• Daro
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

.....or from any gov. site. Make sure you get the "adjusted" data.

• 7 months ago

Oceans are absorbing 95% of the excess heat. Takes a huge amount of energy to warm up 320 million cubic miles of water. I'd give you the numbers, but my battery is running low.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Five hundred years ago, bad weather was blamed on witches. Equally stupid and ignorant people now blame it on CO2.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

it says a lot when science deniers won't contact actual climate scientists

• Climate Realist
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Google climatologists. Link to contact information. Climatologists generally have phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses.

• sam
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

it takes time. ask in a few decades

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

It took time for all of that ice to accumulate, and it'll take time for it all to melt - a few billion tons a year melt but there's trillions of tons to go. Because we've done nothing and let things get this far out of wack, we'll be dealing with global warming for the next few centuries.

• Dirac's Van7 months agoReport

I noticed you and your anonymous account posted at almost identical times. I read the Cowboy answer at a time stamp of 45 minutes. I read the anonymous answer at a time stamp of 44 minutes. Too bad you were too lazy to space your pasted replies! Ooops!

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I heard that bimbo AOC quote that last night. Although they have ice cores older, the farthest back they go with ice core data is about 800 thousand years. WE don't know it is the highest concentration since the Pliocene

I should mention that ice cores have their issues. There are other proxies that indicate CO2 isn't as stable as ice cores suggest including previous measure concentrations which are basically ignored and plant stomata proxies.

Anyway it was a time where life prospered. It is funny you forgot to mention that.

Your attempt to link CO2 to catastrophic sea level rise fell flat.

The nice temperature of of the Pliocene was likely responsible for the CO2 concentrations which have been demonstrated to follow temperature, not vice versa.

Your attempt to demonize CO2 because it was supposedly higher in the Pliocene is ridiculous.

• Daro
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

You idiots r just too dumbbbbb to even catch the ref. And i shore aint gunna splain it. Howcum all your claims match the liberal (boob) toob right down the line? I cud use Fat Ed or Obermyer just as easily. All have been discredited.

• 7 months ago

5 million years ago, their measuring capabilities were limited to dropping a small rock in the sea attached to some seaweed to determine depth.

How those records survived to our present day is quite a mystery.

Temperature assessments at that time were conducted using the elbow test.

Not sure how all that will look in a scientific journal but some hedge fund, global corporatist or Gvmt department will pay handsomely for the analysis.

• 7 months ago

Mankind has been keeping accurate environment records for less than 200 years. Wasn't the Pliocene epoch a bit before that?

• 7 months agoReport

2.5 to 5 million years ago, they can check that far back via numerous means

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.