rebecca asked in PetsHorses · 1 year ago

Can you brake a thoroughbred to drive?

So I’m currently pregnant and already dreading when the day comes I can’t ride! I have a 17h Irish thoroughbred (Ex racer) so he is nice and big. Is it possible to break him into drive? I assume so I just only ever see cobby/welsh etc types. Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks in advance

• 1 year ago

Many TB's are prepared to be ridden, by training them to ground drive first. I had a mare, that I ground drove several times a week cross country and through woods, while I jogged. She never took a bad step, spooked, bolted etc. I did not have the experience or the equipment to ever hitch her.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Sure but you should not do the braking - let someone else teach your horse to drive and pull a cart. And you should not be riding or driving when pregnant.

1 year ago

Please listen to everyone and stop riding for the duration of your pregnancy. You will be glad you didn't take the chance. Lots of people are perfectly happy never riding a horse.

• 1 year ago

If you are thinking driving would be a safer alternative to riding, please think again. Driving is more dangerous than riding in general with the average horse. In driving the person has much less control of the horse if they bolt, refuse or get scared. You are sitting a horse length or sometimes more behind them and it is much trickier to influence the horse. It takes a very special and very cool-headed horse to be a good driving horse and this is why draft breeds excel at driving. Hot horses can do it - but it takes a specially well started one who can be trusted to listen perfectly to the driver. Also, when starting a horse to drive, one needs special equipment (a second been there done that driving horse to be hitched to, and a big heavy training cart with disk brakes... to teach a horse that whoa means whoa).

Yes, you can start any horse to drive. Would I as a pregnant woman without experience start my ex-racer TB? No.

PS. I come from a family of experienced drivers who have had many different pony, light horse and draft breeds used for driving teams. I ride racing TB's and other breeds. Driving is as complex or more to learn than riding. Setting up the equipment is treacherous and tricky and you need a lot of experience. If you get it wrong and have a big wreck, people get more seriously hurt than when riding in general.

• partly cloudy
      1 year agoReport

Was invited to watch a driving horse and film. The outdoor field for driving was a good bit away from the barn. Trainer told me to step up on the back of the training cart. The horse started broncing and I simply stepped off the cart. Could have turned ugly, fast.

• Snezzy
    1 year ago

Breaking to drive is best done by someone who does it as a profession. There are plenty of mistakes ready for you to make. I should know--I watched as my trainer's trusted assistant removed the bridle from her driving horse while the horse was still hitched to the cart. AND her husband was still in the cart!

She just had a massive brain fart, and did what any RIDER does at the end of the ride. Only, removing the bridle is a tragic error with a hitched horse. She was fortunate, because about six men saw the error and surrounded the horse so he could not move.

If you decide to get into driving, take it very seriously. Don't cut corners. Get good instruction and get your horse proper training.

"Don't cut corners" is one of the keys to safe driving. You must keep your horse or horses wide on a turn so that the cart does not catch on an obstacle or in a ditch and cause a wreck.

I'll agree with "Joe"--it'd be best to wait.

• rebecca1 year agoReport

Thankyou I should have added to it. I will definitely be getting it done professionally and then be taught how to drive myself. I wouldn’t have the first idea where to start so yes will be having it done properly.

• Joe
    1 year ago

I'm a guy, but most of the women I know stop riding very early in their pregnancies. There are plenty of teenagers who will keep your horse fit for you, and even compete him if that's your desire.

Having said that: Horses are individuals; whether or not yours takes to driving is anybody's guess. But breaking a horse to drive is just as dangerous as riding; perhaps more so. Then you've got to retrain, once you're ready to get back in the saddle.

Your life is changing. You can keep spending time at the stable, grooming, going for walks in-hand, and socializing. Do the smart thing for you, your future family, and your horse: find someone to keep him in training while you're getting your family started.

EDIT:

Eva, I've been around horses, and horsewomen, for around 40 years. That includes watching little pony girls grow up, start their own families, and get their kids into the saddle. It's been a privilege.

The women I know don't ride while pregnant, and take extra care with groundwork. I'm just reporting my observations of what smart horsewomen do.

• Starlight 1
      1 year agoReport

And what about the numerous examples of female dressage and show jumping competitors (many of them famous) who have competed in events like the Olympics while pregnant, Joe? Women CAN ride while pregnant, you know. And they can do it safely.