How far in advance should you book a hotel?

1 year ago

we book ours 6 weeks in advance.

1 year ago

As far in advance as possible. Some locations fill up fast during certain parts of the year. You might also want to check to see if any major conventions are being held in the city where you want to book a room. One of those can raise prices and make it hard to find a place.

• drip
    1 year ago

I book when I am sure I will be traveling. We have a wedding in October, I am booking now,

I booked our Disney resort a year in advance.

I booked our hotel for our daughter’s college graduation a year in advance. And I couldn’t get the hotel I wanted

• 1 year ago

In very popular places at popular times as soon as you can if its important to stay there. I just booked a hotel, got the last room and its 8 months away- but its a winter festival. If you dont care where you stay and are flexible you may be able to drive up and get a room--there are many factors

• MS
    1 year ago

I book as soon as I know my travel plans. If you book directly with the hotel, they will often honor lower rates that might be offered after you have booked; YOU have to contact them and ask for the change though. I've done that several times, always successfully. This will not work if you book through a travel site.

• 1 year ago

It depends on all kinds of factors. If any hotel in a general area will do, then anywhere from a month to a few months is good. So you can book for that trip to Paris or Des Moines next winter late next fall and be fine. If you plan to use taxis or the Metro, it doesn't matter whether it's a fifteen minute ride or a twenty, right?

However, if you want a specific hotel, it's worth it to book as early as you know your plans, even if it costs more. The only good hotel where one of our kids went to college was booked two years in advance for graduation weekend. (We never once managed to get a room there.)

Hotels can and do sell out during peak travel seasons or around special events. Only yesterday, a concert we had tickets to announced its rescheduled dates. Within five minutes, the two large hotels in walking distance were sold out, and all the others in the region had jacked up their prices to double to triple the usual rate. (We will be driving 45 minutes after the show ends to reach an affordable hotel.)

• Not at all to one year.

It depends on why you're there. All hotels have a peak season or maybe just a peak weekend.

Here is a little fact which contradicts the corporate shill's claim.

Hotel "deal" websites generally nick thirty percent of a hotel's rate, so they want high rates, which means you can frequently cut a far better deal on a half empty hotel by dealing directly with the owner. He is already breaking even just by not having you book through that website.

• 1 year ago

New research from hotel comparison site trivago.co.uk shows that in general, hotels should be booked approximately one month in advance in order to find the lowest prices. Contrary to popular believe, booking further in advance is generally more expensive.

• This is complete horsesht from a corporate PR department which makes its money off of people booking hotel rooms through their website.