Why are some professors at University so insufferable and bitter?

I have had many professors continually rant about how being a professor sucks and are always depressed and angry and also continually brag about how hard they worked to get their PhD and do research, and hate on other students for being successful and choosing to avoid academia as a career post Masters program. I... show more I have had many professors continually rant about how being a professor sucks and are always depressed and angry and also continually brag about how hard they worked to get their PhD and do research, and hate on other students for being successful and choosing to avoid academia as a career post Masters program. I had a guy in one of my classes who was a student athlete about to be drafted into professional sports and the professor told him he should go kill himself because he can be successful without college and he's wasting his time in his class and the professors effort. It's like they are perpetually elitist but at the same time hate their lives and their career and take it out on undergraduate students who just want to go to class to learn