Niko asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 year ago

Can you become a dance teacher if you don't know how to dance?

My friend and I are both education majors. We have a lot in common, we always played sports together and both have brothers and no sisters. She doesn't know how to dance, and never got the opportunity to as a child because her parents wanted her in other sports. She does know a lot about dance moves and dance vocabulary, but I'm not sure if that helps if you don't know how to dance. Can you be a dance teacher if you never danced yourself? I don't want to break her heart, but I don't know if this can work out for her.

1 year ago

Yes. You just stand out front and give orders.

• Ludwig
    1 year ago

Yes. If you knew how to dance, you would become a dancer instead.

• Tina
    1 year ago

No, of course you can't. You would be a danger to yourself and others. She could learn to teach dance, but that might take a while.

• 1 year ago

Would you send a child to learn dance from someone who never learned? I don’t know of anyone who would. How can you teach what you don’t know? Unlike academics where you can be a chapter ahead of the class and teach the previous chapter, dance is very different. You need to know dance pedagogy and body kinesiology in order to teach properly. Learning to dance is way more than just copying arm and leg movements. That is learning A Dance but not How to dance. You need to learn to use the right muscles to get you there all the while in proper alignment. Without that you can cause injury to the student. If you don’t know the limitations of the body (everyone is different) you could push someone too far and injure them.

All this is moot, because no dance studio will ever hire her. If she were thinking of opening her own studio she would need a ton of money and no bank will give her a loan with no experience to back it up. Insurance is costly. You need a proper sprung or floating floor so students won’t get injured. That is expensive. You need high enough ceilings to put in a floating or sprung floor and enough room to move. Also very expensive.

What I would suggest is she starts to take real classes. Starting with beginner ballet as that is where basic dance technique is taught. She will see soon enough that this is a pipe dream at the end of her first class no doubt.

It takes many years of serious full time ( expensive) training to learn to dance. Then you need to train how to teach dance unless you were trained on a serious professional level and had a professional dance career. Dance teachers generally don’t make big bucks either. It would cost her more in money and time at her age than she could ever make back. That is if she could ever get work as a dance teacher. It is hard for well trained, experienced dancers to get work as dance teachers if they have little to no dance teaching background or dance pedagogy training.

• 1 year ago

I don't see why it's up to you to 'break her heart' or not. Hasn't she thought about this herself? If not, she's not going to be a good teacher of ANYTHING!

• marty
    1 year ago

You must know how to dance to teach. I'm not saying you need to personally be able to dance but you must know the mechanics involved. Her knowledge of the moves and terminology will help. It is possible.