Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Can 2 month old puppies who have owners and are vaccinated, as they said, have rabies? should I get vaccinated?

I pet this puppy who was with his owner and he kind of playfully like bit me or toothed me. I asked the girl if the dog was vaccinated but should I still vaccinate?

• 1 year ago

Puppy rabies vaccination isn't normally given at under 4 months. So provided the puppy didn't come off the streets, or from a mum who'd never been vaccinated against anything, so had no natural immunity to pass on, you have NOTHING to worry about.

• 1 year ago

Incredibly unlikely with domesticated animals.

I don't suggest playing with raccoon, skunk or bats though just for the risk.

Feral cats can be risk also.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Rabies are not given till 4 months old. Its highly doubtful the puppy has rabies or it would be dead by now at only 8 weeks old.

• 1 year ago

Puppies carry their mother immunity until they are about 6 months old. Vet differ as to when the pups get their rabies shot.

8 week old puppies do bite, they got sharp little teeth but ALL PUPPIES BITE until they are taught not to bite. Teaching them to go potty outside & teaching them not to bite are the first two things you teach a pup.

You are okay. You won't get rabies. Google rabies & learn more about it so you will know for yourself. knowledge is something no one can take away from you. Keep learning, get curious, ask questions, learn

• Verulam 1
      1 year agoReport

Natural immunity from mum lasts until around 5 WEEK, after which it gradually drops away. By 8 + weeks is considered the right time to be able to vaccinate with a chance it will take.Done earlier and it won't provided they've had mum's first milk (colostrum). Rabies is not given before 4 MONTHS.

• TK
    1 year ago

To think the puppies have rabies means you think the puppies are all dying from a fatal virus and every person who is in contact with them is likely to die within a few weeks. Be honest, do you really think this is happening?

The canine rabies vaccination is not recommended before 12 weeks old. As long as the puppy is not allowed to be in contact with wild mammals, it will not be infected before it gets vaccinated.

• Verulam 1
      1 year agoReport

Ours were all over 4 months before rabies vaccinatin was given.

• 1 year ago

you can get a booster if you'd like. if the puppy and you were previously vaccinated, and the puppy did not have other visible symptoms, the chances are very low though.

1 year ago

The puppies are more likely to get the genital warts you posted about than you are to get rabies.

• Jim
    1 year ago

You are fine and rabies vaccination is at 6 months.

• Verulam 1
      1 year agoReport

More usually at any time after 4 months.

• 1 year ago

The chances of a bred puppy having rabies are like millions to one.

I suppose it is remotely possible, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

• Lili
    1 year ago

You're fine: don't worry.