Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

If you've reached a certain age, let's say 23 and you still live with your parents in their house?

- do you think it should be obligatory to contribute to household bills?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • K8
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best answer

We told the kids we would provide them a home and food for free as adults while they were going to college full time. If they stayed home while working full time then they would be required to contribute to the bills.

They are both out on their own and have been for awhile. That was the goal so it's good. One is 23 and the other is 26.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Typically you are. It costs money to have someone using everything and living there and not paying. Not everyone can afford to support another person.

• 6 months ago

As soon as you are an adult you can move out. If you don't, as soon as you are an adult you should start paying for staying.

• 6 months ago

Yes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

What do you mean by obligatory? I don't think there should exactly be a law to that effect but I think then parents should make the child contribute what they can (if they are honestly trying to get a job and simply can't then maybe they just can't) and to even kick the kid out if they refuse to get off the couch - tough love.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you're still in school full time, if your parents want to be really generous they could let you live at home free awhile longer. But if you're not, you should have had to pay since a few months after you were no longer a full time student.

• 6 months ago

i think so

• 6 months ago

Idk but im not here by choice.

• 6 months ago

Not necessarily. It's up to the parents.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Oh.. it sounds like a really fair obligation

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.