Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 year ago

Could I use this swindle to get free camping gear?

I'm in need of some new camping gear. Im thinking of going to Walmart for it due to their company return policy, which is stated on their website.

You can make a return within 30 days without a receipt.

I dont know how Walmart knows the date of your purchase if you dont have a receipt, but that is irrelevent to this scenario.

Say I go there and get the gear I need over the weekend, paying with a credit or debit card.

A few days later, I dispute the transaction with my card company, telling the following tall tale:

"I attempted to return these unopened items as I found a better deal elsewhere, but misplaced my receipt. According to Walmarts return policy, which I have provided a link to, a receipt is not needed for returns within 30 days. However, the employee at the return counter refused to honor their stated policy and said I need a receipt, and said a manager is not available when I requested one. Thus I am disputing this transaction due to refusal to issue a refund in violation of their written policy."

Of course the attempted return never happened, but the way I see it there are 3 possibilities.

1. Walmart does not respond to my dispute and I get the money back AND the merchandise.

2. Walmart does respond, but my bank or credit card company takes my word over theirs, or at least gives me the benefit of the doubt, and same outcome as number 1.

3. Walmart responds and my dispute is declined. But I was gonna get the gear anyway so no loss in trying.

Worth a shot?

1 year ago

Just that your criminal mind comes up with this makes you unfit to exist!

Just cut and pasted your bullship to WalMart headquarters!

• 1 year ago

Jail won't be a nice place to spend Christmas .

They even know what time of day you bought something .

1 year ago

No but it will get you Bed and Board in Jail for Fraud!

• Bruce
    1 year ago

Obtaining something by false pretense is fraud, a felony in my state.

There are a dozen things that could go wrong. The simplest would be to ask you when/where you returned the gear and look at security footage. Or Walmart answering the dispute by saying "bring it in", at which point you have no unopened gear to return.

I"m not sure how much trouble they would go through, but that wasn't your question.

• 1 year ago

The first 2 are not possibilities.

There are several possibilities, and only one them was on your list (where it was the third one).

The possibilities include:

1. The bank or credit card company asks you the date and time that you tried to return it and which Wal-Mart you tried to return it to. WalMart gets their security/surveillance footage and proves that you lied. The bank or credit card company closes your account and you don't get anything free. Definite loss in trying.

2. The bank or credit card company asks you the date and time that you tried to return it and which Wal-Mart you tried to return it to. WalMart gets their security/surveillance footage and proves that you lied. Then the police are called and you get arrested for fraud. And you don't get anything free.

3. By some miracle, the security/surveillance cameras weren't working, so they can't prove that you didn't try to return it. The bank or credit card company tells you to send them the merchandise or bring it to another Walmart or whatever. You get back your money. But you don't have the merchandise, so you're in the same situation as if you really did return it, and you've put in a lot more effort, and gained nothing. So no win there either.

It's not worth a shot. There is no possibility of getting anything free. If you are very lucky, you might not lose either. But you certainly win. And you could lose a lot, not just your money, but also your freedom.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

YOUR list is not possible.

• 1 year ago

used gear is not returnable anyway

• sam
    1 year ago

no

1 year ago

You left out the part where WalMart Consumer Fraud gets involved.

If you can't afford to go camping, stay home. (Who can't afford to go camping?)

• 1 year ago

I don't know what's stupider: Asking this question here or the idea itself.

• 1 year ago

If you presented the card that was used to the customer service person they would be able to locate the transaction and everyone would know you were lying.