Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 year ago

Is it safe to change my fishes water at this point?

His water now is disgusting and I am ashamed of how moldy and gross and chunky it is. Hes been living in gross water for months and i think he s gotten used to it. Will it put him in shock if i change him to a new bowl with clean water? Serious question I already have a new bowl

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

    The "mold" is probobly algae. Algae is a harmless and actually helpfull plant. The stuff that algae is using as fertilizeris the real problem, and it is invisable "nitrates if the tank is cycled, ammonia if it is not"

    You risk shock anytime you remove a fish from its tank, Or Over clean, or make too many changes at once.

    I suggest you do 2-4 25% water changes with the gravel vacuum. Do NOT touch the filter or filter cartridges yet! Add seachums prime to all new water. get a water sample in a plastic cup to take to a petstore before adding prime. Find out and right down the results of the tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

    Bowl? no fish can live in a bowl. Hopefully you meant a filtered aquarium. % gallons minimum and heated for a betta, larger for any other fish.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

    slowly change the water, 10% each time per day.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

    Yes, if you haven't maintained your aquarium with partial water changes every week or so, your fish is cooking in its own waste. They can acclimate, but it's a miserable existence.

    If you put your fish into completely new water you will kill it.

    Google "aquarium partial water change." I'd recommend doing a 50% water change now, then another 50% every two or three days for a couple of weeks. Then do a 25% water change once a week. Your tank will stay clean.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.