Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 year ago

what do you think?

A girl friend recently got married. I bought her a beverage dispenser at her bridal registry. Couple months passed, she had a party in her home where I was invited as well. At the party she complained that she did not have a beverage dispenser when she wanted to serve iced tea. I had bought her one but I guess she returned it. I felt upset if she returned it because it is cheap movement returning a wedding gift and getting money for this. What do you think?

I left the gift at the bridal registry shop after I paid for it because the shop was supposed to deliver all the gifts. After I bought he gist beverage dispenser was not available to be purchased by others anymore. I have not got any thank you note but I am sure she did not send any thank you notes since others have not received either.

• 1 year ago

A gift is a gift and once given it is no longer the givers business what the person does with it including returning it for money, selling it, dumping it in the trash. It is no longer your business

1 year ago

I think she should have covered her tracks better. Clearly if she didn't want this item it shouldn't have been on her registry. But you don't know that the couple didn't take stock of their finances after the wedding and realize they needed cash more than a beverage dispenser. Technically once you give a gift it belongs to the recipient to do as they please with. I know it's annoying but it's hardly a relationship extinction event.

• 1 year ago

Two things could have happened. The bridal registry dropped the ball and never delivered your gift. I would check with them to be sure they delivered your gift to her. OR, she could have accidentally broken it.

I would not be shy about talking to her about this matter. You can simply state that you picked out and paid for a beverage dispenser through her bridal registry and were surprised at her party that she complained about not having one. Then ask her flat out: DID you receive the beverage dispenser?

Sitting around and just thinking about it will get you no answers. Ask her and then the bridal registry.

• GEEGEE
    1 year ago

I'd confirm she actually received it. Mistakes happen at stores. If she did, well, what she did with it upon receipt is up to her.

1 year ago

It's kind of tacky not to send thank you notes.

But I think you're taking this a bit too personally.

Just because you didn't see her use it, that doesn't mean she got rid of it.

Maybe you should have talked to her, that you noticed she didn't use the dispenser.

It's also possible that she just forgot to use it, or she returned it for something else.

You gave the dispenser to her, it's up to her what she does with it.

1 year ago

White cracker

1 year ago

You left the gift with the store to be delivered on your behalf. Did you bother to request tracking information to see if it was actually delivered?

Did you let the bride know that you gifted her that item and ask her if she received it?

It's quite rude of you to discuss the couple's thank-you-note etiquette with other gift givers instead of just communicating directly with the store or the gift recipient.

• 1 year ago

I think it's possible she didn't remember she had one. When me and my wife got married we were finding wedding gifts we didn't realize we had for over a year. Some, would have come in handy earlier than when we found them. And where I come from you don't get money for returning the gift, you get store credit that is used to buy things not purchased on the registry (usually the most expensive items).

Perhaps you should give her the benefit of the doubt, assuming she is a friend. And there is no rule that says you can't correct your friend by reminding her of your gift. Edit: The lack of a thank you note is a major faux pas, but we forgive our friends for their shortcomings, the same way they do for ours.

• drip
    1 year ago

You need to confirm the gift arrived.

• mokrie
    1 year ago

How do you know she returned it? She may not have gotten it. Check with the store to see if a mistake was made.