Do I have a case? Landlord refuses to return my deposit, or rent.?

I found a place on craigslist and paid a 1000.00 deposit and 1000.00 rent for May 1st. I got a check for both. Since I lived 1000 miles away, it was verbally agreed that I would sign the lease when I arrived a few weeks after the first (stupid I know). The landlord deposited both the deposit and the rent check.... show more I found a place on craigslist and paid a 1000.00 deposit and 1000.00 rent for May 1st. I got a check for both. Since I lived 1000 miles away, it was verbally agreed that I would sign the lease when I arrived a few weeks after the first (stupid I know). The landlord deposited both the deposit and the rent check.

Fast forward to the 15th, I'm about to move states to the new place, and I get a phone call from the landlord saying that they rented the house. I demanded my deposit and rent back. He said he'd send me a check for 500.00 for half a month worth of rent. He said the deposit was non refundable, and that I didn't sign a lease or move in. And that I occupied the space for half a month and if I didn't physically live there, it was my problem.

Do I have a case? I feel like I"m entitled to the full 2000.00 back.