Anonymous

Help with college choices ? UNR, UNLV, or CSN.?

I’m graduating high school in las vegas this week and i’m really confused on what to do with my life. I want to be a middle school english teacher and i have guaranteed job security when i graduate, but i don’t know if i want to go to UNLV and live at home, go to the community college for 2 yrs and transfer, or go to UNR. I’ve always wanted to go to college, live in the dorms and start my own life without my parents help but i’ll have to get student loans. Is it worth being broke and happy or should i save money and stay at home ? Help pleaseeee. Also, I have the millenium scholarship which will help but i’ll still be broke.

• 1 year ago

avoid the student loans ... your income after graduating likely won't be huge and thus paying on them will be painful. If there's a shortage of English teachers in Nevada's middle schools [or nearby parts of Arizona or California], then community college followed by transfer is the cost effective way to go. {Schools don't care about the difference between community college and university for the first two years.}

Just make sure to discuss your community college course sections with the Education counselors at UNLV -- they know exactly what you want to tkae in order to easily transfer [even if you transfer to UNR]

Source(s): married 32 years to Professor of Education
  • 1 year ago

If you want to be a teacher in Nevada, your choices are UNLV or, distant second, UNR.

If you have to live at home instead of dorms, so be it. Get your butt to campus early every day, stay up there between classes to study, and get involved in campus activities. You cannot just run to school for class, but need to be on campus, except for the hours at your job or sleeping at home.

• Squid
    1 year ago

English teacher is one of the worst choices possible if you want job security. There are 50 applicants for every position and the pay is terrible. If you really want to be a teacher, be a STEM teacher if you want to find a job.