Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 6 months ago

Are different antibiotics required for different health problems?

I'm asking because I've been experiencing what feels like some kind of ear/respiratory infection for a few years now. My ears feel inflamed beyond the eardrum, I constantly have a grainy feeling when I swallow (like when you're about to get sick), I want to cough every time I breathe out or speak because my throat is irritated, and it feels like my upper throat is constantly congested. My ears feel full and my head feels like it's about to explode because of the built up 'pressure'. My ears are insanely sensitive to sound and 'vibrate' a split second after ever sound I hear which is incredibly uncomfortable (imagine someone flicking your eardrum). There is also a sound that accompanies each shudder in my ears. Movement also affects my left ear. I've been told there's no fluid in my ear (only external examination) and my doctor doesn't think my never-ending cough is related to my ears, but it all feels very much connected to me. I took 5 days worth of antibiotics following my wisdom tooth extractions, but it had no effect on my ears or throat. Would these antibiotics be different to the ones a person would be given for ear infections/inflammation or throat/respiratory illness?

Update:

Also, my persistent throat irritation and cough started at the same time as my ear problems following an ear infection back in 2012. My ears have gotten worse and worse every year. It is now crippling me. I can't function. I have a constant 'earthquake' sound going on in my ears and I can feel the vibrations associated with it. So even if I'm not hearing any noises, my ears are so sensitive that they're constantly tremoring inside. Perhaps I'm hearing my blood flowing through them?

Update 2:

Also, I am a non-smoker, don't drink, eat mostly whole foods, avoid foods that promote mucus and inflammation. The only thing I don't do that I should anymore is exercise because it aggravates my ears and I also lose 80 percent or so of my hearing until my heart rate goes back down. It's both torture to exercise and scary.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Antibiotics are good for nothing!

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You need a referal to ENT. Our Doctors in the UK would not have left it for so long.

• R K
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yes, there are antibiotics specific to certain conditions. there isn't one that fits everything.

• 6 months ago

Some types of antibiotics work better for some things than others, yes.

I don't really know that much, but going back to what I'd read up on a couple years ago when trying to treat a pet (which is little different than a human in this regard)... Where bacteria are concerned there are some that are gram positive and others that are gram negative. Most antibiotics supposedly are best for only one or the other. If I recall, there are some that can work for either, but may not be as strong or work as well. So if they give you an antibiotic that is mainly for curing gram positive BUT you're affected by a gram negative, it may not help much. Which could also be why the one that was meant for the wisdom teeth didn't have any affect of helping a different possible bacterial issue at the same time.

I think this is why sometimes they test a bacterial infection to figure out what antibiotic would be best.

Losing hearing like that though via increased blood pressure and physical activity, imo I'd be looking into if there are other issues that could also be ruled out too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Different antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by different bacteria. (Or, if an infection is particularly serious, the doctor might prescribe a stronger antibiotic with a greater risk of side effects because the risk vs. benefit ratio would call for a drug that is more likely to kill the bacteria more quickly and completely.) Some patients are also allergic to some antibiotics, which would, of course, affect the choice.

In an ideal world, the doctor might send a culture to the lab to determine what bacteria is responsible, and pick the antibiotic that is best. More often, the doctor knows that, for example, an ear infection is most often caused by one type of bacteria, and a bladder or sinus infection caused by another. So she'll often prescribe based on 'best guess' and either send the culture off just to be sure, or tell you that if things aren't better in X number of days, to call back and she will prescribe something else and/or send the culture.

If you've been sick for 'years now' it's not an infection. Could be allergies ,but by all means return to the doctor for a more thorough evaluation. (Perhaps a referral to an ENT would be appropriate.)

• 6 months ago

Yes, not all of them will handle everything.

• Bernd
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.