Ryan asked in PetsBirds · 6 months ago

How do I keep younger chickens and adult chickens together? (Feeding)?

I want to move my baby chicks to my big coop once they are fully feathered. (8-10 weeks ish?). How do I get them their starter and (around that time) growing feed without them eating the layer feed of the bigger chickens or the bigger chickens eating their food and not making eggs?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I wouldn't put them together quite yet. At least not till after they are off the starter and on to regular chicken feed.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

For the integration, start with the two groups in the same coop or run but separated by chicken wire. That gets them used to one another. There WILL be some pecking but just enough to establish the pecking order.

For the food, hang the layer feed high enough that the youngsters can't get at it. Put the chick feed in a place too narrow or low for the adults to get at it.

• 6 months ago

Doesnt happen. We have two food bowls and two waters. We fill them both up but the bigger chickens do not eat the little ones food. you should have enough food for both if you are worried about the bigger ones eating the smaller chickens foods. We use these exact feeders for the chickens in the below link. they can be used both for water and food. we dont have problems with them not sharing food.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lixit-fa...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.