Christy asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

sisters kid let my dog out and she bit someone else’s dog. Who’s at fault here?

I’m at my parents house doing school work, and my sisters five year old held the front door wide open for my dog to run out. Some lady then came to my parents door and claimed my dog bit there’s and they’re bringing the vet bill for us. My dog has been around many other dogs with some that interrogate her even and she doesn’t bite. Not sure I even believe the lady. But, besides that, who do you think is at fault here?

• 1 year ago

you are...you abdicated responsibility for the well being of your dog when you left it in the care of others....it makes no difference if it was a family member young or old or at a boarding kennel ...your dog ran outdoors and approached and bit someone else's dog.. suppose it ran through the open door and was killed or injured by a car whose driver didnt see the runaway dog?... learn responsibility and do not expect others to have the same level of concern for your dog.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Unless you have another witness as to the attack, the lady would need to have solid proof it was your dog that attacked her dog.

• 1 year ago

The best place to start in finding out who is at fault is to ask your sister's dog what happened. If the dog doesn't say anything it usually means they're guilty.

• 1 year ago

Wow, never seen so many idiotic comments. Number one if you weren't there then a Judge is not going to care if you believe the lady or not. She only has to prove that she suffered damages because your dog was loose. Second, it was your dog. You left it in the care of your Sister, she didn't steal the dog. If you get a Judgement against you because of it then sue your Sister.

• 1 year ago

Doesn't matter how it happened, you lost control of your dog & it was out its yard. You are responsible for that dog 100% & more.

Did you see anything wrong with her dog when she came to the door? Did you see any blood? Hope she ain't one of those hags that want to sue every one for everything. If the dog is fine & no harm done, refuse to pay the Vet bill. & don't just accept a Vet bill with out seeing what all was wrong with the dog, that could have possibly been cause by your dog.

• 1 year ago

Your sister's kid is responsible. Don't you dare punish your dog for something that was your sister's and her kid's fault.

• Anna
      1 year agoReport

It was the asker's fault as the dog's owner and the SISTER'S fault for failing to watch her kid. It wasn't the kid's fault you can hardly blame a 5 year old.

1 year ago

You claim to be a college student and THIS is an example of your English skills? What does this mean - "My dog has been around many other dogs with some that interrogate her even and she doesn’t bite" I HATE IT when my dog runs around, interrogating people and other dogs. How annoying!

The person at fault is the person who was supposedly supervising the child and, indirectly, the dog.

Legally who is responsible for the bills? The dog owner AND the home owner.

You're married. Why are you studying at your parents' house? Isn't your sister's kid your niece?

• *****
    1 year ago

If you're an adult, you're responsible for damages caused by your dog. If you're a minor, your parents are responsible.

• 1 year ago

You are legally the liable person, as the dogs owner/ keeper.

1 year ago

Your dog is at fault, and thus the owner. Pay up.