Can I retake Algebra 1 or 2 in college?
I’m a junior in high school and when I was a freshman, I had a really bad algebra teacher and I didn’t really learn anything. I hope I can’t retake a course when I am in college.
I’m a junior in high school and when I was a freshman, I had a really bad algebra teacher and I didn’t really learn anything. I hope I can retake a course when I am in college.
- IdealistLv 76 months ago
- MSLv 76 months ago
You will probably need to take and pass at least one college-level math class to earn your degree. At many colleges, it is a "college algebra" course and is more advanced that what you learned in high school algebra classes. If your ACT scores are not high enough, then they may require you to take a prep/remedial course before you can take the required course.
- Anonymous6 months ago
When I was in school we had to take a PERT test, and if you didn't pass it you took remedial classes in college. Ugh. I had to take remedial algebra, and IT WAS SO BORING!!! I never even paid attention in class, played shake while my professor talked and made hundreds on all of my tests. Screw high school!
- MamawidsomLv 76 months ago
Yes and no. As Sam and Drip point out:
1) You need a minimum of 3 years of high school math to get into a university, and Algebra I and 2 are usually two father three lowest level high school math classes, so you'll need to get these handled in high school.
2) You might find that a summer school or online revision course (Khan Academy) might help you master the content of your Algebra 1 class.
3) Community colleges will probably offer this level of course, but it is unlikely that a university will.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Sam SpayedLv 76 months ago
Some four-year colleges have remedial classes, and most community colleges do. However, you don't get college credit for them, and you'll have to pay for them, so it may be better to re-take them while you're still in high school if you can.
Does your high school offer summer school? Does it charge for them? Can you retake a class even if you didn't fail it?
- dripLv 76 months ago
Universities require that you take three years of math in HS to apply.
Have you had algebra 2 ? As a senior you should be able to take algebra 1 if you want to,
You won’t be retaking the HS class. Most colleges do offer a freshman level algebra class.
You can also take a remedial math class at your local community college.