Anonymous

Missed a bunch of classes due to mental health issues. Offered to make up assignments. Professor wants to fail me?

Missed classes due to depression, anxiety, and bipolar episodes. I have documentation stating that I was not well during my absences. Offered to make up missed assignments earlier in the semester but professor said no. However he let a fellow student of mine make up assignments because she was leaving town for a convention. Now my professor tells me because I missed assignments that I’m going to fail his class, even if I do well on the final. He tried to discourage me from taking it, saying he didn’t think it’d make a difference at this point, just take it to see what’s on it and that’s it.

What’s bothering me is the fact that I asked on two occasions to make up missed assignments early on and was told no. It’s not like I waited until last minute to ask him, but he lets someone else make up assignments. He tells me only if I would’ve notified him during my absence, but I wasn’t in the right state of mind to do so. Should I speak to someone at my college about this? I have a history of seeing on-campus therapists about my mental health, plus I emailed the Vice President of the school about my mental health a couple of weeks ago relating to a different matter. My concern is more so about the feeling that my professor is not being fair about things. I can provide documentation and was turned down about make up of missed assignments to improve my grade. When he offered 11 page extra credit, I did that and had no problems completing other work if given a chance.

To Anonymous, I asked my professor previously if I can make up assignments and he flat out said no. I did make the effort. I asked very early on if I can do any assignments to help my grade since I missed previous ones. I was denied. I didn't notify my professor of my mental health problems because I was in a bad mental state during.

The syllabus states that you aren't allowed to do assignments if you miss class. I asked to do other assignments in place of missed ones because another student was allowed to do so to save her grade, I wasn't allowed nor offered any other options. I find it strange that my professor told me that I could have made up work had I notified him of my problems, but I was not allowed WEEKS BEFORE this to make up assignments when I asked, yet other people were allowed to. That is playing preferences.

To Amaretta, I didn't miss class on purpose nor was I trying to "skip" assignments. If I were, I would've never bothered asking more than once if I can make up the ones I missed. My illness is life long, started in childhood.

• 1 year ago

I'm in a very similar situation, maybe the same. My professor said I should have told him stuff sooner but even if I told later, she accepted it while another professor didn't. I may reprove on the latter's discipline because of that. This is all really silly in my opinion, going to class does not in any feasible way guarantee or even make likely that I'm learning stuff. To require me to attend then is nonsense. We all should go when we wanted, have the final exams, and get our diploma, which is the only thing university by itself can give. Anyways, go to the administration section of your institution packed with all of your medical papers and say you want to get your absences removed. This is something that I can do in my country (Brazil), hopefully is something you can do in yours.

1 year ago

Sometimes they make you withdraw. It’s worth consulting with the dean. But colleges are pretty strict about attendance even if you have a doctors note. They should give you an incomplete or withdraw though not an f. And you can always appeal.

• :)
    1 year ago

I would fight it with the dean of your school. I’m cannot believe the amount of people that aren’t acknowledging mental health as a valid excuse. What if it were physical health? What if this person had a stroke, would you all view it differently?

• MS
      1 year agoReport

Whether it's phyiscal or mental health isn't the issue. When a student misses a lot of class, for any reason, it can be hard to catch up and do well. When you miss all that work and information, it's hard to get caught up by the end of the semester.

• MS
    1 year ago

There is a difference between your situation and this other classmate's who keep referencing. You, by your own admission, "missed a bunch of class." It may have been for good documented reasons, but you still missed out on significant information, discussion, and other classroom activities. This other student, who is "leaving town for a convention" appears to only be missing one class. It's pretty easy to allow a student to make up work for one missed class. It's very hard for a student to make up missed work for "a bunch of classes," and especially hard for that student to do well.

At my university, it is up to the professor to determine if extensive absences can be made up, even if they are excused. It is REALLY hard to miss "a bunch of classes" and adequately make up that work. Your professor may be very correct that it will be too hard for you to make up that work AND pass the class.

At most universities, you can have a "medical withdrawal" from a course or even from an entire semester. This allows you to drop a course past the drop deadline with documentation of extensive medical absences. This might be your best course of action at this point.

• 1 year ago

You can't just skip classes and assignments and expect to be able to pass your classes. Maybe you need to get your mental health under control before attending college.

• Amaretta, he has all right to expect to pass despite missing classes and not doing his assignments because what college is about really is testing you and telling to future bosses that you know some things. As long as you passed exams and showed you knew stuff, you should pass.

• drip
    1 year ago

You needed to notify your professor when you first got sick. Not afterwards. This is a common request. I would think one of your doctors or therapist would of helped you shoot off a quick email.

Are you only in one class?

Of you were in more than one class you could contact your dean of students who would of taken care of notifying all your professors.

You can speak to the head of the department and/or the Dean of students

• 1 year ago

i would talk to sorneone at your college about it

• Kevin
    1 year ago

Sadly, in most cases, this is up to the professor alone. I had a similar situation in which one of my loved ones was suffering from mental health and I had to take a break from class to help out, and the professor didn't care and wanted to give me an F on all of the missed assignments. I ended up contacting the economics department (she was an economics professor) and the department was on my side, but the professor wouldn't budge.

I would go ahead and contact the head of whatever subject your professor teaches department, talk to some school administrators, and see if you and your professor can come to some sort of agreement.

Best of luck to you, I support you, and remember that the world is a better place with you here

1 year ago

So while you were out, you didn't think about this until now?

Why didn't you do the missing assignments while you were out? I am sure that he has a online syllabus, which states on assignments. You showed no effort until now. And you have what two weeks left.