I found out my boss has been sabotaging my job applications. What should I do?

I am a recent college graduate, and I work for a solo attorney. It is only him, a secretary (his wife), and myself. I worked for him for two years now, and he pays me $12 an hour (30 hours per week), which is pretty good, but not enough for me to be financially independent. I recently interviewed for a recent alum's company, and his company had him do reference checks. The alum informed me my current boss gave a less than favorable reference. I have interviewed with other companies too, and used him as a reference, but now I suspect he gave them bad references as well.

now, the work i do is valued much more than $12 an hour (filing zoning permits, variances, etc..) and I think i do a very good job. I have great working relationships with the clients, civic groups, government staff, etc... I even use one of my long term clients as a job reference. in addition, I have travel often on public transport to the client sites, and sometimes walk up to 5+ miles per day.

I now believe the boss is trying to keep me around as long as possible because i am difficult to replace and he doesn't want to pay market rate for a paralegal or associate attorney.

my major is mathematics with a minor in computer science with a 3.15 gpa. So i think my market value is $20+ an hour. i've also interned with a mortgage insurance company last year but i couldn't get a full time offer from them. There is an Ivy league and a large state school where I am so the job market is super competitive

This was a part time job for while I attended college, and it doubled as me learning about the legal industry. There was an understanding between the boss and myself that I wasn't going to stay after graduation since I would either attend law school upon graduation or work professionally in my major. I chose to work professionally instead. This is basically a low skill job a college student does for spending money, equivalent to working at McDonald's

and with regards to me walking up to 5 miles a day and taking public transportation, part of my duties is visiting my client's properties to take photographs and distribute civic meeting flyers, sometimes in high crime areas, and in the inhospitable summer and winter months. finding someone who can perform the physical demands nearly everyday, while having the administrative skills is not easy. we do no have a company car so I really on public transportation to travel to the sites.

I started at $9, and I have been given raises steadily since I have worked there. When i first started if was very simple office work like scanning the mail, answering the phone, and cleaning.

• B
    1 year ago

first, your salary level is not equivalent to the work performed, you must apply elsewhere, use indeed.com for zipcodes in your area and apply elsewhere today

second, you must get over that your boss is taking advantage, many bosses do this in order to retain their help

third, start to ignore the poor treatment in salary and get an additional job to get some cash going to be self sufficient

• 1 year ago
  • 1 year ago

Slumlord said it...

1 year ago

As an employer if you leave this off your resume I would wonder what happened to those 2 years of your employment history. IF you want to climb up the ladder in your career and life you NEVER just quit a job without notice.

We are hearing your side of how grand you are but perhaps he does not have a good attitude about your work ethics none of us know.

GO TALK TO HIM

• 1 year ago

$12 an hour for an Associates degree job? Where the hell do you live? South Carolina!

• Eva
    1 year ago

If he is telling them things that aren't true, you can sue him and he should know this. The best course of action would be to sit down with him, explain your reasons for looking for another position (no secret to him at this point) and flat out ask him what he's been saying to prospective employers when they call. Explain to him that if he wants to keep you, you need more hours and and a hefty raise.

1 year ago

$12 for a recent grad from an ivy league school is terrible. Maybe ferret out a little more about from other applications about this reference or get a trusted friend to call in asking him for a reference. If he has been black balling you - yeah - never Use him as a reference again. And do leave his employment if he is blackballing you - but don’t do it with out notice. You always give two weeks. If you left with out notice he’d really screw you for references. What the other person said about future employers not contacting the current one is standard for when you leave one job and go to the other. But unfortunately he’ll be on your resume for 10 years - because that is how far you usually have to go back. If he is critical of you - find other references.

• 1 year ago

Stop using him as a reference and you can even tell the job you are applying for that he is unaware you are looking for a new job, so they won't contact him at all. You could also consider asking for a raise, I guess.

• 1 year ago

I would just quit him suddenly, without a word, move, and never use him as a reference.

• 1 year ago

find someone else to give as a reference maybe your previous employee