Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 year ago

young boys (mainly royals) in britain wear short till a certain age, don't they get cold?

1 year ago

this seems like such an odd thing..i live in the us and over 40 and still wear shorts daily,,,hell when i lived in caali i owned like 2 pairs of pants.......even on cold freezing days i caan wer shorts with ease..hell when i visited london i forgot to bring more than 1 pair of pants i didnt feel cold or anything and it rained half the time...so i guess its a coultural thing....

• 1 year ago

It 's an old fashioned thing. Boys used to wear short trousers in primary school, then long trousers when they went to secondary school. Girls had to wear skirts whatever their age, whether they were cold or not. Nowdays girls can wear trousers too. And no ordinary school that I am aware of insists on shorts for boys. Maybe some of the posh ones.

• 1 year ago

Of course. That was an easy question.

• 1 year ago

One may iron them if he wishes.

• Clo
    1 year ago

They can wear tights under the shorts or some other type of legging. Traditional upper class and upper middle class young boys wear shorts and not long pants until a certain age.

• 1 year ago

Apart from the fact that they do wear long socks when needed, as a general rule, young boys don't spend hours outside when the weather is cold. And if they do, they are running around. Just to say down here on the coast, we see men wearing shorts year-round. Regardless of the weather. We are tough!!

1 year ago

No. Even in the middle of a northern winter.

• Lili
    1 year ago

It's not just the British and certainly not just royals. Short pants have been the norm for boys under a certain age in many countries for a very long time. In fact, they were common in the US for small boys until the late 60s or so, especially among the upper class. Look at the way John F, Kennedy, Jr. was dressed as a child. My younger brother was dressed that way, too, in the mid-60s, and we were not upper class. See below.

As for cold, yes, I suppose they ARE cold, but so are little girls, in their cute little knee-length (or halfway-up-the-thigh) dresses.

• 1 year ago

I had to wear shorts at school until I was 13, even in winter. And no, I dd not get cold because if you wear shorts every day you get used to it. The English are tough.