I encourage my residents to pursue paid, fully-funded opportunities, but why do the majority go after regular jobs?

I’m an RA with freshman residents, and I understand how freshman year is because I was once there. I have recommended that they pursue paid internships and experiences the same way they look after jobs at foot locker (etc). I know those opportunities exist because I have been successful with them, as have others.... show more I’m an RA with freshman residents, and I understand how freshman year is because I was once there. I have recommended that they pursue paid internships and experiences the same way they look after jobs at foot locker (etc). I know those opportunities exist because I have been successful with them, as have others. Plus, I do research with them and can even identify potential opportunities of interest to them. Sometimes, competitive programs can offer the same compensation that summer jobs will, but are career enhancing. Why is it easier for them to go after the same jobs that they’re familiar with?