If crime scene tape is up does a cop have a right to tell you to move?

If I am behind crime scene tape and a cop tells me to move do Ihave too?This was a “active shooter/standoff” I was well behind the tape and the cops told people to move further back. If they want the pedestrians watching to stand further back why not move the tape rather than drawing your guns and acting big

13 Answers

Relevance
  • D50
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I agree. You should stand up for your rights in the presence of excited policemen who think there's someone shooting a gun nearby.

• james
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not at gun point. At that point you have the right I would think to shoot it in self defend. The right to ask you to move back yes. Even order you to. But to pull a gun. That cop needs took down!

• 6 months ago

Yes they can order you to move further away from the crime scene tape. You were too close to a dangerous situation that was unfolding. There was a chance a stray bullet can strike you if you failed to heed their warning.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes, they do.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Yes. They cannot move the tape back until you move back first.

• 6 months ago

They don't even need to have tape to instruct you to more further from the scene.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

He has the right to tell you to move is you are in danger or if you are interfering with the investigation.

A crime scene can change quickly. Sometimes it gets larger, sometimes it gets smaller. There is no law that says once the tape is up they can't change it.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

you don't seem to understand the law

when a cop tells you to do something, that is a lawful direction and you HAVE to obey it or go to jail

your rights do not matter here

after all he has been told to move every body back further so that YOU will not get hit by a stray bullet

• 6 months ago

Yes you do have to move.

Former SSgt.

• David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Basically - yes. If you refuse you could be charged with interfering with a criminal investigation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.