Would someone go to jail for being forced, at the threat of his brothers life, to be apart of a crime?

I am currently writing a story. In this story, my character is forced by an unknown to drug and take a former friend somewhere, helping to set her up for what he believes is an attempted bombing. If he doesn t do as he s told, they will kill his twin brother. The bomb turns out to be real and over a hundred people die. When they contact him again he attempts to stop the bomb by framing his former love interest as they had enough evidence it d be realistic, and maybe just maybe he brother would be okay. The truth is found out though, and while one bomb is stopped, another is detonated. (In one version, he was taken to where unknowingly the second bomb was, and slips into a coma and wakes up after the killer is found. In another, hes simply arrested and will testify to eventually help find the real killer. I m currently still debating which.) Anyways, the real bomber will be found, and so his story of his twins life being threatened will be validated. Will he still be charged for the part he played, despite being forced into it to protect his family, and if so, what s a realistic sentance?

That scenario might play sympathetic for a jury but as this guy was SUPPOSED to call the police to report both the bomb and his twin brother's peril (instead of cooperating) it probably wouldn't impress the DA much.

YES, they can. Duress CAN be a defense in criminal cases. It is normally at least a mitigating factor in sentencing, but it doesn't change the fact that the person committed the crime.

• Sarah7 months agoReport

Alright, thank you. I have another question. The only thing he actually did was kidnap & frame former friends, so would he only be charged for that, or would he also be charged for having known about the potential for a bomb?

My lay perspective: He would be charged because technically he could have gone to law enforcement and exposed the plot but because of the predicament he was in I guess a lenient sentence would be applied, maybe 2 years? IDK

If he was apart of a crime, he had nothing to do with it.

If he was a part of the crime, however.....

• Sarah7 months agoReport

Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote this. I noticed my mistakes after but I wasn't able to go back and fix my typos.