Do you have to be rich to own a bluewater sailboat?

Considering the cost of the boat itself (I'm interested in Catamarans), maintenance costs, docking, storing... If you are a middle class person making below 100k a year but would like to take a couple months out of the year to do cross ocean sailing... Is it absolutely financially impossible to do... show more Considering the cost of the boat itself (I'm interested in Catamarans), maintenance costs, docking, storing...

If you are a middle class person making below 100k a year but would like to take a couple months out of the year to do cross ocean sailing... Is it absolutely financially impossible to do it?

I'm going back for nursing school but I've always dreamed of owning a boat and sailing. My dad says on a nurse's salary there's no way I could afford to do this unless I married a millionaire smh.

Just curious to see what you all think