Do you have to be rich to own a bluewater sailboat?

Considering the cost of the boat itself (I'm interested in Catamarans), maintenance costs, docking, storing...

If you are a middle class person making below 100k a year but would like to take a couple months out of the year to do cross ocean sailing... Is it absolutely financially impossible to do it?

I'm going back for nursing school but I've always dreamed of owning a boat and sailing. My dad says on a nurse's salary there's no way I could afford to do this unless I married a millionaire smh.

Just curious to see what you all think

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

I might be buying a boat.

Before buying a boat, what you should do is something that's called research. I thought about buying a Catamaran, but I don't have a death wish.

I think there is only 1 type of boat that can travel safely on probably all types of waters. I think the boat you want to buy isn't a good choice.

I am planning on buying a boat that's between 30ft - 40ft. Insurance on this type of boat is $600 per year. Docking prices are based on location, size of boat, and what kind of services you want at a marina.

• 5 months ago

maybe look at a trailer sailer it lives on a trailer in your yard when not using it. Maybe on older Mc Gregor 26 would work for you? You can pick one up for about $12 000

• 5 months ago

If you REALLY want to do it, it's possible. Just like losing weight and quitting meth is possible if you REALLY want to do it... or you can complain how life is unfair.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Basically YES YOU DO HAVE TO BE RICH!

sorry but $25,000 boat would not cut the mustard.

The arm chair admirals do not have a clue as clearly from their answers have never set foot on any thing that floats.

Right your choice of sail boat a catamaran will cost double the mooring fee in those harbours where you have to pay mooring fees.

And that includes a lot of the Caribbean isles with just off shore mooring.

Not all off shore mooring is free.

Then every thing you need to live you will have to carry on board as you can not rely on restocking at some islands.

Plus a good sized fresh water holding tank.

you need to have an on deck round around to get to shore when moored off an island.

A tiny sail boat would not be able to carry it.

So your talking about the budget of at least $200,000 for a good storm and sea worthy boat.

And about another hundred thousand for equipment to suit your needs.

Sailing even just for fairly short pleasure trips is expensive if your living aboard.

As when you get a Caribbean storm You really get a heck of a storm.

Then around a hundred and fifty to maintain and dock your boat and to pay the boats tolls in the area you wish to sail.

Plus insurance costs which you will need at least third party insurance in case you cause damage to a third party.

You will need to take some sailing and navigation lessons and they cost money as well as radio operators qualification.

.So your Father is Spot on Find a elderly Billionaire with a weak heart and marry Him or Her!

as that is the only way you will be able to afford a blue water Yacht! and take two months of the year just for Jollies!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No - it comes down to how you prioritize your finances. Live cheaply, rent low end of the market, drive a bomb or walk, or cycle. No concerts (except free ones), no smoking, little or no alcohol, no kids, no gambling. Careful saving, chose your boat carefully. KNOW what you re doing under sail.

Dont set your sights high on nboat type or your comfort aboard on it. Google Rory McDougall, Cooking Fat. It can bew done low budget (but wont be by me)

• fuzzy
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Cooking Fat is a 26' Wharram catamaran (double canoe ). Rory has completed a circumnavigation in it. NOT my idea of fun but somehow he talked someone, usually female to accompany him on each leg. I dont think anyone ever did a second leg with him.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No! Absolutely not; but it doesn’t hurt.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Not as long as you keep your needs modest. There are a number of well kept older and smaller blue water sailboats that can be had for under 25K. A friend of mine sailed around the world twice in a 1965 Rawson 30 which is a true blue water boat - just small and somewhat slow. It is slow because it a very heavily over-built fiberglass vessel but the safety is high and the maintenance is low.

• 5 months ago

No. A 20' boat can sail bluewater.

• 6 months ago

Ages ago I bought a 20% share in a 42 foot bluewater charter craft for under $50,000.00

I was able to borrow the money from my bank with very few issues. As long as the craft was sufficiently insured my bank had no problems. And I wasn't rich at the time either.

I never actually ever set foot on it and eventually sold my share to one of the other partners.

• 6 months ago

Yes. It is absolutely financially impossible.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.