I am going to be over-taxed, is there a way to prevent it to avoid hassle of a Tax Refund?

I m a unemployed student. For the last week I ve been working as an extra, I ve earnt £1,000. This is probably the only income I ll get this year, and obviously far below the tax threshold, but on the Pay As You Earn system, HMRC may assume I get that every week and tax accordingly. Is there a way to stop this, or do I need to get a tax refund after?

4 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    Read this:


    When you get to the tax code chart, compare what's on your pay slip. I am not sure if PAYE allows you to claim exempt from income tax, but code L seems to be what you want to be. Discuss it with your employer.

    In the US, it's very simple. If you KNOW you will earn less than the amount at which income tax becomes do, you can claim exempt with the employer when you start the job.

    Be aware that the exemption applies only to income tax. Other national taxes such as National Insurance you still pay and those are not refundable.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Did you give these people your tax coding ? How did they pay you ?


  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You will be refunded any tax taken out. however as it is only the start of the tax year if you are searching for work then you don't know what work you will do or what you will earn in the next 10 months

  • Omega
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You will get a tax refund, but it taking time...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.