Katie asked in PetsHorses · 5 months ago

Mares ears are always back on approach in the field what does this mean?

Hi everyone just a quick question about my mares body language. Whenever I go into the field she will walk up to me to see if I have anything for her and to get a scratch. She always has her ears back on approach but puts them forward as soon as she reaches me. Any ideas why this could be?

• John

Back means "I'm really not all that interested" forward "oh for me? Let me see".

Sounds like a very typical mare to me lol. But the fact that she comes up to you in the first place is a good sign and that her ears go up when she reaches you is better. Sounds like she may just be irritable towards other horses. It's not necessarily a dominance thing. I've often seen mares who are low in the herd do the same thing. It's more of a front to say "stay away from me!" but in reality if they get challenged by another higher up horse, they give up easily. It's just a "I'm trying to go about my business, other horses please stay away from me" thing. Mares are well known for their ear pinning traits. Some follow through with it while for others, it's just a front for the other horses. Some mares can be very irritable and confusing beings, you just have to work with them very selflessly to understand them. Hormones can get the best of them.

Could be Any of these things

1) could just be her personality

2) showing aggression and dominance

3) if older could be becoming blind so doesn’t recognise you u till close and that why her ears pin forward

unless you always have food in your hands if so the food would be temporary stoping the aggression which then would need some fundamental ground work to remind her your the leader in hierarcy terms hope this helps

• patty

the fact they go back up is good

Sounds like she could be warning off the other horse "my human", stay back. If she was flattening her ears at you, she would get worse the closer you got....

Are the ears back or are they pinned? Two different things (I'm sure you already knew that but you never know...).

My horse tends to put her ears back too and it's usually because she's not giving me her full attention. I just make a little sound "psht" that she knows means "Hey, you" and she flips at least one ear right back up. Doesn't matter if I'm on her back or on the ground halfway across the field.

Just being a typical, dominant mare. She probably is/will be the lead mare in any herd and considers that area and the horses there to be under her control. The fact that she puts her ears back up once you meet shows that she accepts your leadership.

It could simply be like my mare the witch, she swings her head, grinds and flattens her ears when I get up to the fence, the obediently walks up and then gives a final warning to the other horses not to come close or else she will beat them up. Being an older brood mare she will.