What does it mean to find a dead sparrow in front of your door?

Yesterday, a sparrow had come into our apartment garage.I don't know how it could find a way to our garage, but it couldn't find its way out again. It hit itself every where to find a way to the outside. Our garage has a door to the yard and I opened the door to help it fly out, but the bird seemed... show more Yesterday, a sparrow had come into our apartment garage.I don't know how it could find a way to our garage, but it couldn't find its way out again. It hit itself every where to find a way to the outside. Our garage has a door to the yard and I opened the door to help it fly out, but the bird seemed disappeared because I couldn't see it anywhere, so I decided to keep the door open for while. After about half of an hour, I came back to the garage and I couldn't find the sparrow anywhere. I thought it had finally flied out of our home, but this thought was my Big Mistake! To my great regret, this morning, I found the sparrow dead in front of our door in the second floor! I got shocked and I ask myself where was the bird? If it was still in our apartment why we didn't even see it again? Why did it die exactly in front of "Our" door?
Update: Answer to Matt question: Yes! There is cat with three kittens! Hoe does having cats affect the situation?
Update 2: The cats who live in hour home are not domestic.They are stray cats who live in our yard freely. Sometimes we give them food, but I have seen that they occasionally hunt the pigeons and they prefer their own pray rather than the food that we give them! However there is no way for them to enter inside the apartment... show more The cats who live in hour home are not domestic.They are stray cats who live in our yard freely. Sometimes we give them food, but I have seen that they occasionally hunt the pigeons and they prefer their own pray rather than the food that we give them! However there is no way for them to enter inside the apartment from the yard. The yard has a door to the garage but it is usually closed.
Update 3: And something else has also happened, my mother had left the sparrow in a garden in front of our home.I have just gone out to have a look and to my great surprise, the sparrow is Not there! Chances are that the sweeper man had took it away, but the piece of paper in which we wrapped the sparrow is still there.... show more And something else has also happened, my mother had left the sparrow in a garden in front of our home.I have just gone out to have a look and to my great surprise, the sparrow is Not there! Chances are that the sweeper man had took it away, but the piece of paper in which we wrapped the sparrow is still there. Maybe a cat has eaten it, but do cats eat dead birds?Is it possible that the sparrow was not actually dead but just unconscious and has flied away?