Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 5 months ago

Was my classmate rude?

She said she didn’t like Northerners, so I said jokingly, said: “Hey, I’m a northerner.” I am a northerner.

Then she said, “Well, I don’t like northerners.”

• JJ

Your classmate was rude and stupid for making such a statement.

You should ask him.

• Daisy

Well, she certainly made an ignorant comment. When I was younger, I thought I didn't like southerners. I grew up in the 60s and saw a lot of unrest on tv- riots, for example- in the south. This left a bad impression on me. I have cousins who lived in Alabama (and still do), and I liked them. So, I had to learn to separate what I saw on tv- surely, not all southerners hated blacks or wanted to them harm. So, this classmate needs to broaden her perspective and her mind. Show her how classy and friendly you are. Maybe she'll change her mind. If not, you 'll learn from it (even if she doesn't).

• PAMELA

Just ignore such ignorance.

Goodness, what a pointless post.

• Lv 7

What a pointless answer.

Sure she was rude. It was already quite obvious that you were a northerner, simply from the way you speak. It wouldn't have been very productive to ask her, "How come you don't like northerners?" or even "Why are you prejudiced against northerners?"

If it has been me, I might have said, "Have you traveled up north? Most people in northern states love to hear a southern accent, and think southerners are charming and polite." ('Nuff said . . .)

• marys.momma

Most American people can distinguish southern accents from northern ones in the USA.

No. She stated a fact, it's probably for a stupid reason but that's her prerogative.

sounds like it

• willy5 months agoReport

Not trying to be rude- just giving realistic advice

She needs an eckythump.