Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 6 months ago

Is it bad that I like Science?

Science and Philosophy are two things I really enjoy and I’m good at it. I like reading scientific and philosophical books and debating with people. This is something I think about a lot and I even come up with my own scientific theories and philosophical viewpoints.

I am also an Atheist. I do not believe in any religion and don’t believe in any sort of afterlife. I enjoy looking up scientific facts and spend a lot of time thinking about these things.

Is it bad that I enjoy science and think about it a lot?

• NONAME

why would you ask if that was bad...does your family and friends not like you doing it beacause you spend too much time indoors...i could see that happeneing.

If you are being honest then you will have a difficult time of it unless you find people with your interests. The general public will consider you "weird" and "spacy" (or any number of adjectives that are far from complimentary). The "average person" (at the median or below of the bell-shaped curve) considers inte3lligent people to be stupid and perhaps even a bit crazy. Best of luck to you - and be careful to choose the right friends so you don't have to dumb yourself down to fit in.

yeah why can't you be gay for Jesus like everyone else and stop demanding evidence for everything. you're being a prick.

Of course not

To see something as bad is to make a subjective evaluation. In other words, it is bad within the minds of those that see it as bad. I think it's probably a good thing.

I don't understand your self doubt. Imagine you had a knack for tennis: "is it bad that I like tennis?"

It is people who care about facts and make experiments (ever heard of the PDSA cycle?) who create progress. Light bulbs, vaccines or the Internet aren't things that fell from the trees. They were created by people who observed carefully cause and effect and made their way through a lot of trial and error to bring progress and improvement.

The fact that, more often than not, those improvements are later "hijacked" by big companies is a different matter; maybe that's why you associate a bad rap with science? Or is it rather a fear that people could think you're a "geek", etc? That comes with the territory for any person who wants to step outside mediocrity. Einstein was for sure in his time considered a geek (by people who had nothing to offer, and history has long forgotten...)

Its a shame that society seems to make science look like a bad thing. Science is reason and logic and observation and experiment. Its great that you enjoy science. So do I.

No. I cannot imagine why you would even need to ask unless you're an extremely insecure person. Just be careful to balance your life and your interests, and don't let debating turn into a one-upmanship obsession or a platform for belittling others. Likewise with your atheism that, like it or not, is based on an assumption that cannot be proved. Those who choose to be religious are not necessarily wrong. Do not lose sight of the difference between theories and facts in science as well as religion..

• Take a care not to idolise science.

It is the creation of people. And just as fallible.

The only way to be sure is to think it for yourself.

Do not assume science perfect. Be critical of every piece of it. Every word.

Beyond science and philosophy is intelligence which created them. People created science and philosophy. And people follow what people created. But we should all aim to create anew what we are told.

Never follow. Recreate in your own mind. And be critical. And to be critical means evaluating everything, every part, every piece. Forge a new integrated whole in your mind.

• It is not evil. It is the way it is. As I have gathered that it is. I am the final piece which finishes and completes the puzzle and it finishes and completes me in turn.

Why would it be bad? Where be thy logic?

As a scientist-philosopher, you doubtless value truth. Neither science nor philosophy support a dogmatic atheism; rather, they countenance enlightened agnosticism, which may or may not promote an interest in so-called spiritualization of senses unto Kant's, Schopenhauer's, and Husserl's noumenal.

You might find Ralph Siu's The Tao of Science (Ph.D. in bio-organic chemistry from Cal Tech), Gaston Bachelard's The Formation of the Scientific Mind (GB held a Chair at Sorbonne in philosophy of science), Franklin Merrell-Wolff's Pathways through to Space (M-W was educated in maths and philosophies at Harvard and Stanford, where he briefly taught, until moving through space on his own :-) and Edmund Husserl's The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Philosophy.