Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 6 months ago

In Israel, why do many Orthodox Jews refuse to join the Israeli army?

They end up going to jail instead

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Many of the most extreme sects of Orthodox Jews (mainly Haredis) within Israel refuse to work for ANY employers, not just military ones.

They absolutely will not work on their Sabbath, and military personnel don’t get that choice as defence must be 24/7/365. They also believe that their “job” is to devote their time to studying religious scriptures.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

It is religiously permitted to defend Israel on the Sabbath / Festivals: https://www.jpost.com/Not-Just-News/Ask-the-Rabbi-May-Jews-fight-wars-and-extinguish-fires-on-Shabbat-476204

• Robert
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Hello,

The Asker appears to be referring to the Ultra Orthodox, who currently have an exception.

I understand that the primary concern of the Ultra Orthodox about military service is the non / anti Torah exposure to which they / their students will be exposed while receiving the military training. A compromise needs to be made. They should accept military training to help defend the country, but perhaps this military training should be carried out within the Ultra Orthodox community at training areas reserved for them. Surely special arrangements ought to be made so they receive a satisfactory standard of military training while respecting their religious concerns.

The Ultra Orthodox will also be concerned about the religious prohibition against work on the Sabbath and Festivals. All that is required is a little flexibility regarding when military training is to be done. The Sabbath, Festivals, and additional any special Ultra Orthodox days, can be avoided. But, it is religiously permitted to defend Israel on the Sabbath / Festivals:

https://www.jpost.com/Not-Just-News/Ask-the-Rabbi-...

Having received training, if then, at some stage, they need to be called-up to defend the country, they would be capable and ought to be willing, to do so, just as was required in Biblical times in for example the times of Moses or later Joshua.

I hope this helps.

Robert.

• 6 months ago

All Jews look ,sound and smell super weird (at least those who payed to approach me). I met some girlfriends of mine who refuse to let the Jew come near them.

They have learned how to spot them from 100 metres away.

So these Orthopedic Jews are no different to us.

• 6 months ago

because these lunatics spend all their free time studying the Torah. their wives often have to work to support the parasites.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Can contributor "...Anchovy" really be asserting any form of logical argument to justify his prejudice, based on people's mode of dress? Obviously no. He also thereby insults traditional forms of Islamic dress.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Because a bunch of them does not beleive in the Zionists cause, they know and they believe that once they declare it, it will be a matter of time before it disappears, again.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

(I have put neither any "like" nor "dislike" against this answer.)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

As things stand, they are exempt from being drafted into the military so that they can carry out their orthodox lifestyle, but a proposed bill could be about to change that, and the Haredim are not happy.

The U.S. also has "Religious" conscientious objectors

In time of war they are usually imprisoned or forced into the medical corps. (re: Ali, aka Cassius Marcellus Clay)

• 6 months ago

To make a Political message, probably.

I don’t know the situation there, but whenever people are draft dodging it’s usually political.

• 6 months ago

They feel that their religious beliefs preclude their participation in the military, and they typically do NOT go to jail for it. The current government allows them to avoid military service.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I do not know if that is true but in todays world of jets and missiles and drones an army is not defence its to police when police should be enough

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.