Swan behaviour, help please?

I've been following this family for ages now. I just want to know why they are doing this, what reason. The pair have seven cygnets. One of them seems to have something on it, It is black in colour, so probably oil due to some inconsiderate bastard. It was really upsetting to watch and for some reason,... show more I've been following this family for ages now. I just want to know why they are doing this, what reason.
The pair have seven cygnets. One of them seems to have something on it, It is black in colour, so probably oil due to some inconsiderate bastard.
It was really upsetting to watch and for some reason, especially the mother kept grabbing hold of its neck and chasing it.
It is one of theirs. It tried getting out of the water twice.
Does anyone know why they are hurting it? The poor thing was desperately trying to get the oil off himself.
Perhaps it was making him smell funny and that was making them reject it as they didn't think it was theirs due to the scent?
Can someone please help
It was terrible to watch and I would really like to know why, thank you
1 answer 1