what's the name of the point in the ocean where waves start pushing you towards the middle of the ocean instead of to the shoreline?

when you're at the beach, you notice ocean waves always push the water towards the shoreline, but when you swim a long distance and head towards the middle of the ocean and away from the shoreline, there is a certain point where the waves no longer push you towards the shoreline, but push you towards the center of the ocean, inside the ocean. what's this point called?

3 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    Do you mean streams like the Gulf Stream, or do you mean the continental shelf where something similar to avalanches can happen, but they happen underwater. Rogue waves can happen because of atmospheric conditions. Water is heat source. This is why tropical storms and hurricanes and typhoons and tropic cyclones can become escalating positive feedback systems as long as warm water is available, but the atmosphere and Earth's rotation as well as the ocean is part of that.

  • 5 months ago

    The best person to ask about this is a Pacific Island wayfinder. They study wave reflection patterns and can tell you exactly when and where your craft will start to drift out to sea on its own when left unattended.

  • 5 months ago

    A waning tide, that tide from high, receding to low.

    Another current is undertow AKA riptides. Neither are relative to distance from shore.

    • Atarah Derek
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

      Or, more specifically, whether that distance marker has a name.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.