If a school’s drama department buys the licensing rights to a play or musical are they allowed to make any alterations to the original?

Scenario A: Let’s say I’m a high school drama teacher and I recently purchased the licensing rights for my school to put on a production of The Sound of Music. But I’m not a fan of the original staging. In the original stage musical My Favorite Things is sang towards the beginning by Maria and the Mother Abbess at... show more Scenario A: Let’s say I’m a high school drama teacher and I recently purchased the licensing rights for my school to put on a production of The Sound of Music. But I’m not a fan of the original staging. In the original stage musical My Favorite Things is sang towards the beginning by Maria and the Mother Abbess at the Abbey instead of it’s well-known spot in the film version where Maria sings the song to comfort the children during a thunderstorm. That spot is occupied by The Lonely Goatherd in the stage version. I personally don’t think that order was the best idea and I think the filmmakers made the right decision when adapting the film. For my School’s production of the Sound of Music I’d want to go with a song order similar to the film with My Favorite Things sung by Maria during the thunderstorm and The Lonely Goatherd being placed later in the musical as a present by the children for the Baroness, like in the film. Not only would I have to switch things up but I’d also have to add a few lines of dialogue to set up The Lonely Goatherd. Would that be allowed?

Scenario B: Pretend for a second that the answer to Scenario A is yes and I change the song order but I feel like we need a song to replace the scene at the abbey where My Favorite Things once went. I was thinking about adding I Have Confidence from the film version of Sound of Music. Would this be allowed?