Is the Australian accent a serious problem for the Australian film and television industry?

This question is partly inspired by the outrage about my comment that Australian accents aren’t that decipherable. It’s a genuine problem. Let me explain this in a way that you will understand. Netflix is revolutionising the way people view media and it is a huge global success, revenues are in the billions.... show more This question is partly inspired by the outrage about my comment that Australian accents aren’t that decipherable. It’s a genuine problem.

Let me explain this in a way that you will understand. Netflix is revolutionising the way people view media and it is a huge global success, revenues are in the billions. British film and TV shows are cashing in by getting Netflix deals but there is hardly any demand from Australian sources.

A massively successful TV show in Australia called Wanted was recently added to Netflix as it was met with almost universal critical acclaim. It has flopped on Netflix though and let me tell you why. The very first scene is two women locked in the boot of a car, one doesn’t know why she is there or what has happened. Very tense, good opening. One of the Sheilas is talking in a ridiculous Ozzie accent, you know the one with inflections at the end of every sentence. Immediately you are removed from the situation and no longer focus on the strange situation because one of the women seemingly has an absurd way of talking.

The loss to Australia’s film and TV industry will continue until you learn how to talk properly.