Can someone recover my tax files from a reset factory laptop?

Hello, so I recently bought a laptop from Best Buy which I use for a few days and had my files downloaded to until it started acting up and I returned it to Best Buy after doing a factory reset. My question is can they recover my files including my tax files for any reason they want?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Had they just reinstalled the OS there is a good chance that with the right software, you could recover the data. They probably reimaged the entire drive which will make it less likely. Find a local tech with R-Studio. Most techs will charge a small fee or no fee if there is not data recovered. It's worth a shot.

• 5 months ago

If the reset was a reinstall to factory condition then the files are gone forever; NSA might be able so recover something, but I doubt they would bother unless you were a "person of interest"

• 5 months ago

Sorry no, it's gone.

• 5 months ago

Download a program called CCleaner and install it, then open and select "Tools" and then "Drive Wiper"

Tick the drive you want to wipe and select the security level. Select the wipe to "Free Space Only" and then select "Wipe"

The more wipes you do, the less of a chance of data recovery. Just keep in mind that it will take time to complete depending on drive size and how many wipes it completes..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes, that is a possibility.

• stan l
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Sure. Would they want to?

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Depends on what you mean by Factory Reset.

DID you reformat the Hard Drive?? DID you reinstall the OS??

• 5 months ago

If someone wanted to spend thousands of dollars and was omniscient enough to know that they would want information on the hard drive? Yes. But I highly doubt it.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i would hope not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.